FORTY TWO

Word Count: 1706

~Tove

I don't take Relm's hand, pushing up to my feet myself.

I steady myself, trying not to panic. If I keep him talking, it may give me enough time to find another way out of this.

"Tell me who it is you trust to rule over the Demon's," I demand firmly.

Relm has the ability to get rid of me in an instance and yet he is hesitating. He clearly doesn't want me dead, I just need him to see that keeping me alive is worth more than killing me in cold blood.

Relm sighs, blinking his dual coloured eyes. "It would be a waste of my breath."

"Why? Because you enjoy taking innocent lives?" I ask, trying not to shiver. My breath billows in front of me, reminding me that if Relm doesn't kill me, this terrible cold soon will.

"Quite the opposite," he mutters, conflict toying in his expression. "But this person...well, you will not find them."

My jaw clenches tightly, but I don't wince. This is beyond frustrating.

"You're Relm. Can you not figure it out?" For someone who supposedly doesn't want to take my life, he doesn't seem to be very interested in helping me out.

"Their power rivals mine, even at my strongest," he admits, rubbing at the frown that seems to be a permanent feature on his forehead.

I frown. "Yet you trust them?"

If I've learnt anything from Keo, it's that powerful people don't trust each other. Especially when the other has the power to take their life.

"The old Demon's were very honourable. It's how they all got killed," he explains grimly. "I've known this person since the very beginning, and I know they are incapable of breaking their word."

I frown, my brain trying to process the information he is drip-feeding me.

"Keo mentioned a completely full-blooded Demon from around the time of the war. Is it them?" I question.

At the time I didn't think much of it. Keo told me there was only one Demon that came from the time of the war and had blood more pure than his. He said he had spent his entire life looking for this person, and yet so far has failed.

If Keo can't find him...can I?

"This doesn't matter. You shall never find them," Relm muses tiredly, his beautiful face solemn.

He steps toward me, flexing his gloved fingers as if he is determining the best way to kill me. I back up a few steps until my back hits the frigid wall.

"I know you know," I blurt out.

He pauses, a hint of curiosity in his eyes. "How?"

"Your power doesn't matter. If you know this Demon enough to trust them, then you know where they are," I scramble. I don't even know if my accusation is true, but I'm beyond desperate at this point.

Slowly, he slides his hands into his pockets, tilting his head to examine me.

"Hmm. And even if I do reveal their location to you, what is to say they will be willing to work with you?"

"They are a Demon. Their entire race is at risk of being entirely exterminated. They will want to help," I insist. I'm only assuming, and Relm knows that.

And yet, he still hesitates.

Relm raises a brow. "They haven't helped so far."

There must be more to this. Why would a Demon lock themselves away to never been seen or heard from in centuries. Keo is mostly untraceable, but even he cannot hide the fact that he is very much alive.