TWENTY FIVE

OUT NOW ON WATTPAD

Word Count: 1872

~Tove

Once Keo is done with the Demon's, him and Wren disappear for two days.

I know he's busy, and that he has many priorities, but being left alone in a big sprawling chalet gets lonely very quickly.

Even if my usual company is Keo...

He returns right before I could muster up enough courage to go out into a snow. The chalet is set up against a mountain, and although I've never feared the snow, I do fear toppling down the rocks to my death.

"Are you ready for a big challenge today?" Keo questions, strolling into the dining room.

I look up at him, a bite of sandwich in my mouth.

His sudden appearances don't frighten me anymore, even if there was no warning of him showing up today.

Swallowing my bite of food, I pick up my glass. "I suppose. What is it?"

"You're going to transport me again." he pulls out a chair right next to me, sliding into it.

His fresh scent washes over me, like pine, snow and cloves. I shudder, thinking about how much I missed that, along with his presence in general.

What is happening to me?

"How far?" I question, taking a long drink of water.

Keo watches me wipe a missed droplet from my lips. "To another Territory."

I set the glass down, gaping at him. He can't be serious. We got lucky with my magic last time, and now, we are just pushing it.

What if I'm not able to replicate that again?

"I could barely move you very far last time, remember?" I know he's desperate for me to master my magical skill as fast as possible, but I fear I'm going to push myself too far and ruin everything.

"This time you have the conduit," he reminds me, pulling the necklace from his pocket.

I watch it sway back and forth as he dangles it on front of me. "Right..."

His expression falters and he drops his arm down. He's getting good at sensing my apprehension, or any of my shifting emotions.

"If it's too much, we wait," he tells me slowly.

I draw in a deep, slow breath. I'm trying not to let his words soothe me, otherwise it will be too easy to feel something for him. He cares about me enough to not force me to do this, even though he's been dedicated to it for most of his life.

"I'm as strong as I'm ever going to be. I need to try now," I decide, abandoning my sandwich.

Keo smiles, although I note his wary stare as we walk from the dining room. He believes more than anyone that I can do it, but it's clear he is unsure on how I feel about.