TWENTY NINE

Word Count: 1961

~Tove

I stare at the mess of words in front of me, withholding a groan.

"This is so boring."

I look across the table. Keo has his legs crossed at his ankles, bracing them on the table's surface. He himself is reading, although his choice of book is much less daunting than the one he has assigned me to examine.

"It's important," he muses, flicking a page over.

We have spent almost all day avoiding talking about what happened two nights ago while I read a book on Demon's and their magic.

I haven't been able to get that night out of my head.

Keo laid me down on the bed and gave me the most mind-blowing orgasm of my life. It has shattered my entire perception of the world, and now, we are back to acting as we normally do around each other.

On the bright side, I transported us back here with moderate ease and only a mild blood nose.

I'm getting stronger. I can feel it.

"Why is it important?"

"Didn't you once wish you knew more about Demon's?" He questions, tilting his head to the side. He doesn't hide when he is taunting me, using my own curiosities against me.

I drop my head down onto the book, my forehead resting in the crease.

"Not about their magic," I mutter.

"You should know about the people you will be transporting."

Him and I both know these books don't matter. He's keeping my mind occupied while my body rests from the over-exertion.

I lift my head, blowing a strand of hair away from my face. "I only care about you."

He smirks. "Really?"

"Your history, I mean. I want to know about your past," I amend, rolling my eyes.

Keo's past is what made him who he is. The more I can learn about him, the more I will come to understand him. Maybe that's why he has been wary about telling me much about himself.

"All the tragic stuff doesn't need repeating," he mutters, waving his hand dismissively as his attention falls back to his book.

"Then tell me about the non-tragic stuff," I push. He can't avoid telling me about his life beyond what I've witnessed. We are mates, it has to come up at some point.

He doesn't look. "There is none."

"Seriously?"

"Seriously."

I sigh through my nose. He's holding back, and it's not for the sake of my focus on this book. We both know that ship has sailed.

"Were you ever in love?" I ask softly.

"No," he responds quickly.

He's so beautiful I can't imagine how he wouldn't receive a lot of attention from people. His power is enough to scare away the sanest of lovers, although I can't believe he's weaved through life completely unlucky in love.

"I feel like you're lying." I narrow his eyes.

"I'm your mate. You want to hear about my past lovers?" He questions, a small smile playing at his lips that suggest there is more than he is willing to divulge.

Something dark curls up in my stomach at the thought of him with someone else.

"Maybe not," I mumble pitifully.