FORTY FIVE

Word Count: 2074

~Tove

"That..." I slap my hand over my eyes. "Did not go as planned."

Keo paces back and forth, his footsteps echoing through the vast foyer. My stress has chased me all the way from Territory One with the Demon's to back in Territory Two.

"I will say I didn't expect twins, but I expected them to act that way," he admits, ruffling a hand through his hair.

"Really?"

I'm not sure what I expected, but it wasn't that. Maybe I'm just surprised that I managed to get out of there without being slaughtered on the spot.

"They have been isolated from other Demon's for a great amount of time. They don't know who to trust," he reminds me.

He starts off through the large sweeping archway, heading toward the glass balcony door.

I chase after him. "We threw ourselves into the lion's den for them. How could they not trust us?"

"Ziah knew who I was. He wasn't entirely convinced about my plan." He presses the door open, a cool, sea scented breeze touching my skin as I follow him out onto the balcony.

"It's a good plan."

He turns to me, moonlight tracing the strong planes of his face. "You're an Angel-blood. He doesn't like that our entire plans relies on you."

I sigh through my nose. This roadblock is to be expected. If I were them, I wouldn't trust me either.

"I'm more than willing to help," I say softly. I know it doesn't mean much, especially when they aren't here and they wouldn't care anyway.

He gives me a grim look. "I know that. He doesn't."

"He drank my blood. Apparently that tells him all he needs to know." I'm hoping he wasn't just saying that. I'm hoping I didn't just let him drink my blood only for him to continue thinking I'm a liar.

Not that I would have been able to stop either of them if they wanted to drain me completely of blood.

"It doesn't matter. I believe Astera will do this. From what Ziah told me earlier, she hates this place, her life. She wants freedom, but her brother doesn't think she will be safe. Moving her to another realm could be exactly what they both want."

He leans his forearms against the railing of the balcony, looking off at the uncharacteristically calm sea.

"How do we remind them of what they want, then?" I ask.

He sweeps his attention to me. The sadness in his eyes strikes me, nearly knocking me back a step. Seeing him burdened with emotions overwhelms me. Especially when I can see no way to relieve him of that pressure yet.

"Worry about that tomorrow. It's late," he breathes.

"We will get through this. We will find a way to make it work," I assure him quietly, sliding closer, leaning my head against his shoulder.

With his next deep breath, he relaxes a little under my touch.

"I know we will."

"I just want a normal life again." Staring out at the sea, I wish for peace as perfect as this night. I wish for Demon's to be safe, and for my mate to not be burdened with their wellbeing.

He links his fingers through mine. "You will. Very soon."

I lift my head off his shoulder, twisting my body to face him. I don't speak until he is looking into my eyes.