THIRTEEN

Word Count: 1876

~Tove

"Put your book down, we are leaving."

I look up, seeing Keo leaning up against the threshold of my bedroom.

"You would interrupt me at the good part," I growl, position my bookmark in the crease of the book before slamming it shut.

He smiles wickedly. I thought today was going to be about starting to work with my magic, although he clearly has something else in mind.

"Up," he instructs.

I swing my life over the edge of the bed. "Where are we going?"

"Home," I mutters, looking out the window as if he can see our destination in the distance. My eyes narrow, wondering if I should be concerned."

"Territory One?" I don't think Keo has a permanent home, which means he must be eluding to mine.

He threads a hand through his dark waves, jaw tightening. "My least favourite place."

"Why are we going back?"

"There is someone there you need to meet. She's important." He gestures for me to follow him, so I do, all the way down to the main floor.

"How so?" I ask warily. The more people he introduces me to, the deeper I am in his complicated life, meaning it will be harder to get away from him.

There's an urgency in his eyes, even as he tries to appear amused. "She's my friend, and is a part of my big evil plot."

"Fine, whatever," I mutter, extending my hand to him.

He grabs my forearm instead, yanking me close before the world starts to fall away from under us. I hold my breath, used to this feeling, although a thrill of the unknown courses through me.

The moment my feet touch the ground, I feel an intense wave of heat pass over me, causing my jacket to cling to my skin.

Opening my eyes, I blink through my shock.

We are in some kind of small cabin, golden sand everywhere. I face a room that is half crushed in by a massive pile of sand, some of it spilling out into the main room at my feet.

Keo let's go of me, looking around. "Your choice of dwelling's on your visits here never cease to amaze me, friend."

I frown, wondering who he is talking to until I see a woman step out from another room.

She looks like a female version of Keo. It's the air about her, the obvious confidence that gives me that feeling.

"Noble's wouldn't track me here," she mutters, gaze trained on me. "This her?"

I fidget uncomfortably under the intensity of her stare. She has a refined look about her, with strong cheekbones and straight-cut, shoulder length hair. Her almond eyes regard me distastefully, and it quickly dawns on me that she is a Demon.

"Tove. Meet Wren." Keo gestures between us.

"She doesn't look powerful." Wren tilts her head to the side, clearly not minding insulting me straight to my face.

Keo smirks. "Look can be deceiving."

Wren laughs, shaking her head at him. "Whatever. As long as she can do it."

I narrow my eyes, trying to remember why Demon's are so bitter to Angel-bloods. Even with that thought in my head, I'm not convinced I like Wren very much.

"Do what?"

"She's a bit rusty, needs a little practice, huh Tove?" Keo says, nudging me. I scowl, considering kicking him in the ankle.