FOURTEEN

Word Count: 1507

~Tove

Keo doesn't transport us away like I suspect. In fact, we stand our ground.

I look up at him, surprised as Dax reaches us. As far as I'm aware, the two haven't crossed paths in quite a few years, and yet here they are, Dax looking less than impressed while Keo has an amused smirk plastered across his face.

"You and I both know this is pointless, Daxen," Keo muses.

Dax looks at me, and then at the Demon. "Do the right thing Keo. Hand her to me."

I almost laugh. He would rather take me by force than let me go with Keo.

"When have I ever done the right thing?" Keo asks, picking at his nails as if this entire conversation bores him.

It hits me all at once that he did this on purpose. He allowed me to walk into the city knowing one of the Noble's would sense it. He's doing this to make a point, to get them to back off.

"You've never kidnapped an innocent girl before," Dax exclaims apprehensively. I screw my nose up, hating that Dax isn't even trying to appeal to me.

He knows by now that it won't work...

Keo's gaze dips down to me, studying me like I'm a fine painting. "Who said she's kidnapped? She's here on her own volition."

"I would say that..." I tilt my head back and forth.

"Grab my hand, and I'll take you to Mary," Dax says, finally acknowledging me. I stare down at the hand he offers, taking an uneasy step backward.

"You'll lock me up again." I'm not stupid. Nothing will change if I go with him, and Mary will remain sick.

"It can't be worse then what Keo is doing to you," Dax growls lowly, wary of those passing by. Most will recognise him, and wonder what he is doing in a public market talking to a Demon and a strange girl.

Keo's smile is pure wickedness. "Oh no, what I'm doing to her is far more pleasurable."

Dax frowns uncomfortably, refusing to acknowledge that. My cheeks flush, but I don't correct Keo. Dax can believe whatever he wants.

"Come on, Tove," he insists again.

Keo drapes his arm around me, just like he had done in front of Anthony. "She's not going to go with you. She's mine."

"I'm not anyone's," I growl.

He looks down at me, a challenge burning in his eyes. I know what he is doing. Now is not the time for him to push me, and yet nothing is a serious problem for Keo, and every time is perfect to irritate me.

"Oh yes you are," Keo exclaims, pulling me tighter against him, causing Dax to shift uncomfortably. "You belong to me now, under my control."

I jab him in the ribs, but he doesn't flinch.

"Don't let him treat you like this." Dax holds his hand out further to me.

As I stare down at it, I realise it's not even tempting. If I took his hand, I would see Mary again, but I would have to look her in the eye and know I failed her.

I look up at Keo. "Take me away."

He smiles, triumphant as he looks back at Dax. "As you wish."

He doesn't wait around to taunt Dax anymore. Territory One vanishes from around us, and soon enough, we are back in Territory Two, the smell of the sea greeting me immediately.

As soon as my feet touch the ground, I push away from Keo.

"You were testing me," I growl.

Keo shrugs his jacket off, strolling through the foyer. "Says who?"