Chapter 10: The Winter Disaster!

After the battle against the Demon King general, Beldia, the season turned to winter. And as we'll soon find out, winter in this world can be very cruel.

"What's with all the yelling this early in the morning?" I asked still a little lethargic. I came down to the living room, still in my pajamas, to find Kazuma and Aqua bickering as usual.

"What do you mean? It's like 11 am." Kazuma replied, ignoring Aqua who was shaking him by the shoulders.

"Yeah, and that's still morning for me." I said with a yawn, going to the kitchen where I found Megumin, fully geared up in her adventurer gear, cooking something, probably breakfast.

"I can't believe that there exists someone lazier than me in this world." I heard Kazuma murmur something from behind me, but right after that, he resumed his squabble with Aqua.

"Oh, good morning, Y/N. Or actually not morning. I thought you started hibernating in this room of yours." Megumin said, not sparing me a single glance. She only looked at me the second I entered the kitchen and immediately focused on the breakfast.

"Heh, that's not a bad idea, actually. Anyway, what's up? Making breakfast?" I asked, walking up to her.

"Yes, it's my turn today. It's my first time making any kind of food for the whole party, so I hope you all will like it." She said with a small smile, with her gaze still locked on the food.

"I'm not a picky eater, so I'll be fine with whatever. What's that you are making, anyway?"

"Steamed rice. My mother taught me how to prepare it. Although it was only one time, since it was hard for my family to even afford the ingredients to make it, I remember it almost perfectly. " She said proudfully.

"Damn, her family is that poor?"

"Oh, nice. Gonna be honest, even I don't know how to make steamed rice." I decided not to pry for information about her family. Thought maybe it was a touchy topic for her.

"You say that, like you are some kind of world-top chef." She said with a scoff.

"But of course I am. I thought that after eating those pancakes from earlier, it was already clear." I said playfully with a grin. Megumin giggled in response.

"Think you can teach me how to make that steamed rice, Megumin-sensei?" I asked teasingly with a cheeky tone.

Megumin seemed a little taken aback by my sudden request and stummered in the process.

"T-Teach you? Hm, maybe later, it's almost done, anyway."

"Ah, a shame... By the way, where's Darkness? I haven't seen her at all this morning."

"She was here a couple of minutes ago. Maybe if you weren't such a lazy bum you'd see her earlier." She said, getting back at me for my teasing. "I think she's in her room gearing up."

"Ho? Are we going on a quest?"

"Well, we are 40 million eris in debt, so we should probably do something about it." She said with a sigh.

"Ugh, don't even remind me. Maybe if I just don't think about it it'll go away." I groaned. "I guess I should get ready too."

"Ah, wait!" She stopped me from leaving, and looked away from the food, her eyes locked on me.

"Can you go with me to do my daily explosion?"

"Huh? You're still doing those?"

"Well, since that dullahan is gone, I can now freely cast my magic on his castle. I already told you, Y/N: the path of explosions waits for no one!" She declared, puffing out her chest.