Chapter 36: Just Like Stars!

"Aqua...! Aqua, heal! Heal us, quick! Heal!"

Dragging me over his shoulder, Kazuma kicked the door to our home open.

We miraculously wound up back home after barely surviving the hell that was our encounter with Darkness.

In a desperate attempt to stop the bleeding, I put my scarf over the wound. I marveled at the fact that I somehow was still conscious all this time.

Aqua as usual, was occupying the couch with the egg in her arms. It looked like she was about to doze off any second now.

She jumped at the sudden noise and said:

"... Hm? H-Hey, what happened? You two are wounded all over! Did you see Darkness? Why are you wounded so badly? Did you say something stupid again?"

Kazuma lay me on the couch for Aqua to start burying us with questions and healing my injuries.

Megumin, who was sleeping on the same couch, stirred awake. The first thing she saw when she opened her eyes was me, bleeding all over the couch and groaning in pain.

"Y-Y/N? What happened to Y/N? Kazuma? Why are the two of you so wounded?!"

"Ugh... What do you think? It's because of that idiot!" A throbbing pain ran through my head as I yelled out. With a groan I laid my head.

"I-Idiot? Are you talking about Kazuma or Darkness?"

"What is that supposed to mean?! Anyway, don't get involved with that girl anymore! Leave her be! Unless she comes crying to us, leave her alone! If she doesn't need our help, then leave her! If you still want to do something, then take care of it alone. I don't want to suffer because of her anymore."

Megumin and Aqua exchanged their shocked looks.

When my wounds were all healed up, I wobbly, got up and wanted to head into my room. Kazuma took my place on the now soaked in blood couch, and with a resigned expression let Aqua heal him.

"... Darkness even promised to build a small pet house after this kid hatches..." Aqua couldn't read the room once again.

As I was silently walking away, Megumin's shout stopped me in my tracks.

"I don't know what happened, but now's not the time to throw tantrums! And why must Darkness marry anyway?"

Back in Darkness' mansion, when Kazuma was talking to Darkness' father, he got some juicy info out of him. He told me everything as I was slowly bleeding out on our way home.

"Don't act like you were there! If you don't know what happened, then stay out of it!"

Megumin gasped and put a palm on her chest. With wide eyes staring at me like she was looking at me for the first time in her life, she took a step back.

This was the first time I lashed out on her.

"Money." Kazuma said emotionlessly. "Her family owes a big sum of money to the landlord. If she marries the landlord, the debt will be forgiven."

"... D-Debt...? I just sent money back home and don't have much on me..." Megumin flipped through her purse containing only shopping point cards and coupons.

"If there's no other choice, I'll break my tiger-shaped piggy bank then." Aqua said, finishing treating to Kazuma's wounds.

"It's no use. If even a grand noble family like hers can't pay out the debt, then whatever you'll contribute will just be a drop in the ocean."