FOURTEEN | LOVE, YOUR SHITTY LITTLE SISTER

~March 24th, 1986

~
March 24th, 1986

FOR THE REST OF THE RIDE TO THE CEMETERY, EVERYONE WAS QUIET.
Steve was driving while Juliana was sleeping in the passenger seat, since she didn't get enough rest, and the three younger teens were in the back. Lucas kept stealing glances at Max, still worried for her.

"Turn here." Max commanded, looking out the window.

Dustin looked at her with a puzzled face. "Here?" He asked and she nodded in response.

They turned and passed a sign reading 'Roane hill cemetery'. After driving for a few more seconds, Steve stopped the car under the shade of a large tree. Then, Max got out without saying anything but Lucas chased after her. Steve observed them as they talked while Dustin tried to wake his sister up.

"Jules." He called from behind her while tapping her shoulder. "Jules." He tried again as she didn't wake up. He gently pushed her head making it hit the window.

"Ow." Juliana sleepily groaned, fully waking up.

"Sorry." Dustin whispered while gently patting her head. "Why are you so tired?" He asked his older sister, curious by her tiredness.

That's when Steve decided to speak up. "Isn't it obvious, Henderson? Your sister and Munson obviously did it and didn't get enough sleep." He teased.

"You did?!" Dustin exclaimed, shocked by what he just heard. He felt betrayed even after the promise they made yesterday.

"No, we didn't." Juliana raised her voice a little. "When will you learn to keep your mouth shut?" She said to Steve. "I just didn't sleep well because I was nervous sleeping in a stranger's house. That's all" She lied to them. With all that's going on with Max, she didn't want to add more problems by telling them she had a nightmare.

A few moments later, Lucas came back and went to sit on the hood of the car. Juliana noticed that he looked rather down so she decided to try and cheer him up.

She lowered her window, poking her head out of it. "You alright there, champ?" She asked and he turned his head to look at her.

"Yeah, I'm fine." Lucas answered gloomily.

"Heard all about the game, that you saved your team." She stated. "You should be proud of yourself."

Lucas warmly smiled at her. "Thanks, Jules."

"I'm sorry I missed it."

"Don't worry about that."

As time passed, Steve started to grow more and more impatient. He always watched her nervously, tapping his fingers against his car and checking his watch every five minutes. "Alright, it's been long enough." Steve said after checking his clock, hurriedly getting out of the car and going up the hill to the cemetery.

"Steve, just give her some time." Lucas told him.

"I have, all right, Sinclair?" Steve answered, turning around to him. "I'm calling it. She wants to get a lawyer, she can."

"Steve, wait." Juliana called, getting out of the car as well and chasing after him. "Why don't you let me handle this?" She asked as they walked up the hill together. "I think you put too much pressure on her, plus she likes me better."

Steve frowned, looking at his best friend. "She never said that." He argued.

"Yes, she did."

Steve rolls his eyes and they start jogging up to Max, sitting in front of Billy's grave.

"Max. Time to giddy up, yeah?" He said, his face dropping as he saw Max sitting still, her eyes all white. Something was wrong with her.

Juliana crouched down to her, gently shaking her shoulder as she started to get worried. "Max, wake up." She called but Max didn't answer. "Max!" She yelled this time.

"Max, wake up!" Steve yelled as well. "Max! Wake up!"

"Guys!" Juliana shouted to the younger teens, indicating to them that Max was in danger. The boys sprinted up the hill as quickly as possible, worried about their close friend.

"Come on, Max. Wake up, stay with us, Max." Juliana cupped the girl's face, lightly tapping her cheek to wake her up, but Max didn't move an inch. She was completely frozen, she was in a trance. "Goddamn it, Max! Come on, you've got to snap out of it! Don't do this to us! I'm going to steal your Ralph Macchio poster if you don't wake up, I swear!"

Dustin and Lucas finally arrived, surrounding Max in a circle as they all tried to wake her up. "Max, you gotta get outta there! Can you hear me?" Lucas cried, trying to wake up the girl he loved.

Juliana suddenly grabbed Dustin by his collar, startling him as she pulled him closer to her. "Call Nancy and Robin! Go get 'em! Call Nancy and Robin! Go!"

Panicked and not knowing what to do, Dustin rolled off the ground and dashed down to Steve's car. He grabbed the walkie through the open window, pulling up the antenna. "Nancy? Robin? Do you copy? This is a code red. Do you copy?" He called but no one answered. "Shit, Robin!"

A few minutes passed and Dustin finally found a solution that could save Max. He grabbed many of her cassettes from the car and ran back to Juliana, Lucas and Steve who were still trying to wake her up by shaking her.

Dustin scrambled all of the cassettes on the grass as everyone stared at him in confusion. "What is this?" Lucas asked.

"What's her favourite song?" Dustin asked him as they were running out of time.

"Why? Why?"

"Robin said if she listens- It's too much to explain now. What's her favourite song?!" Dustin stuttered, asking Lucas again.

They all started to search through her tapes nervously, not knowing which one they should pick. Juliana knew what her favourite song was but the title was buried deep into her brain. She thought that if she looked at the album cover she would remember.

She happily screamed as she saw the familiar face of Kate Bush. "I go it! I got it!" She exclaimed.

"Give it to me!" Dustin quickly replied. His older sister handed the tape to him and he hurriedly put it into the walkman. He put the headphones on her as Juliana pressed play. All four of them watched Max carefully as 'Running up that hill' played, hoping that she would wake up but nothing seemed to work.

She suddenly started floating high up the ground as everyone was in shock. They all backed away a little in fear, watching as Max stayed in the air.

"Max!" They all yelled, trying to bring back their dear friend.

And all of a sudden, Max's eyes snapped open and she fell to the ground. Lucas was the first to move as he wrapped his arms around her while Max cried into his arms in fear. The rest surrounded her, so relieved that she was still alive.

"Max! Oh my god." Lucas cried as Max was hyperventilating. "It's okay. It's okay." Max held his arms tightly, still terrified by what she saw. "I thought we lost you." Lucas said.

"I'm still... I'm still here." Max replied between her breaths.

A/N: Sorry it's short.