TWENTY-ONE | SHE'S IN CHARGE

~March 26th, 1986

~
March 26th, 1986

THE YOUNG ADULTS SAT AWKWARDLY ON THE BOAT. Robin and Eddie were on both sides of the boat, oar in hand as they rowed to where possibly the gate could be. Nancy was navigating with the compass while Steve and Juliana were scanning the water with their flashlights.

Nancy noticed the arrow in the compass was rapidly spinning so she stopped the two rowers. "Whoah, whoah, whoah, slow down. Slow down, guys." She told them as they brought the boat to a stop.

The four other teens looked at what Nancy was fussing about, seeing the compass that was acting weird.

"Guys, what's going on?" Dustin asked them through the walkie after Lucas told him that they'd stopped. "Come on, guys. Talk to me. What's going on?"

Robin took the machine that was beside her. "Uh, Dustin, your compass has gone from wonky to wonky with a capital 'aah!'" She muttered, confused by what was going on with the compass.

Just then, Steve started to remove his socks and then his shoes. The gate obviously had to be in the water since that's where Patrick died so this was his chance to check it out.

"Steve, what are you doing?" Nancy asked, her gaze averting from the compass to the man who was removing his shoes.

"Somebody's gotta go down there and check this thing out." Steve answered. "Unless one of you four can top being a Hawkins High swim co-captain and a certified lifeguard for three years, then... it's gotta be me." He said, stating the obvious. "No complaints, all right?"

"I saved Dustin from drowning once." Juliana stated, even though it was a useless piece of information. "Does that count?"

"Well, it's better than nothing," Eddie answered, scanning the water with his flashlight, afraid of what might be lurking in the lake. "I do not wanna go down there."

Eddie grabbed a plastic bag out of his pocket, emptying out all of the items on the floor of the boat as Steve started to remove his yellow shirt, exposing all of his chest hair. Nancy was practically drooling over the view in front of her while Juliana was doing the complete opposite. She was staring at Steve in disgust, grossed out by the amount of hair. He once told her that the ladies dig it but she was not digging it at all.

"Hey," Eddie called out to Steve, handing him the flashlight that was wrapped in the plastic bag so it wouldn't get wet. "Good luck."

"Thanks," Steve breathed out, taking the light from his hands.

Eddie searched through his pockets, pulled out a cigarette, and put it between his lips, hoping that it would help him calm down and feel less nervous about this.