christmas ⸻ 005

It had officially been five months since the birth of me, Nadine Cullen, and my sister Reneesme.

Winter was upon us now in full swing, the cold January weather making me shiver as I walked up to my Grandpa Charlie's house

Coincidentally, it was Christmas. And the probably one of the last time I'd ever see my human relative, for what lay ahead was uncertainty.

During my period of exponential growth, I had fully matured and for the past month, stopped growing. It was a relief and both a sadness, for it meant I was truly frozen at the age of eighteen forever.

Carlisle had suspected it had something to do with my mother being turned at eighteen, too. But he couldn't be sure, so it was only left to speculation why I wasn't going to turn into an old hag anytime soon.

I was also grateful though, for it meant more time with my family, and now my little sister that looked only about eleven.

My new found maturity meant newfound problems, though.

It meant that I was finally old enough to realize what was happening. The Volturi was coming kill us; a coven that also included my soulmate.

I had learned of Caius when I was only about mentally thirteen. But now, I truly understood what Alice had told me, and why my parents were hellbent on keeping away from him.

The instructions were clear; on the day of the battle I was to stay back, and steer clear.

No problem with me, given all the history I had learned of my 'mate.'

I could only hope to have one last day of normalcy before it all went to hell.

I was currently stood in the kitchen with Seth and Leah, trying to grab a cookie before they ate them. I pouted as Leah tauntingly waved the last one in my face, and then proceeded to eat it.

"Sue!" I ran to the living room to fake 'tell' on her. "Leah's being mean! She and Seth just hogged all of the cookies!"

"Leah!" Sue chuckled lightly and scolded her. "Share with Nadine! She, Charlie and Reneesme worked hard to make those cookies."

"Too late now," The female wolf muttered. I stuck my tongue out for good measure.

"Alright," Charlie clapped his hands together. "Let's open some gifts! Seth, Leah, stop eating."

I was happy to exchange gifts, first handing one to Nessie, which was the entire Harry Potter set and a sighed autograph from Daniel Radcliffe.

"Nadi this is so cool!" She gasped at the piece of paper and hugged it tight, "Thank you, thank you, thank you!"

"You're welcome squirt," I grinned at her excitement and ruffled her hair. "Beat that," I told Jacob, waiting for his gift.

He rolled his eyes, but I had to admit the bracelet he give her was pretty.

Next, Charlie and Sue got me an Apple Watch and Seth had something, too. It was a dream catcher, much the one Jacob had given my mother.

"All handmade. By me, of course." He boasted. I laughed and quickly thanked him.

We spent the rest of the day eating and playing games with Charlie, while Mom and Dad slipped away to do whatever.

My stomach was in knots the enter time, wondering about the future.

If we made it, I had to be sure to visit Charlie more. I was gonna miss him, the only normal thing in my life since I was born.

But for now, I allowed myself to forget, relax, and hope we made it last tomorrow.