9) Caring

Mallika's POV :

It was 7PM when there was a knock. I opened to find Sumedh standing with a tray.

"You could have entered. " I scoff.

"I don't enter into someone's room without permission, even if you call it a formality secondly, I had a tray in my hand, how could I?" He says entering into the dining room.

"It's definitely a formality but not for you." I said.

"And why is that? Am I somebody special? " That question caused me to freeze for a second.

"Are you in a habit of zoning out Ms. Mehra?" He said.

"I hate people calling me so formally, so just stop annoying me you idiot. " I shouted.

"Fine, calm down girl. I've prepared soup and dinner, sit down. " I gaped at him.
Is he for real?

"You know how to cook? " I asked.

"Unfortunately yes! I promise I haven't mixed any poisan in it. "

"Ha, bad joke! " I sit ignoring his gaze.

"It's just 7:02 PM? We can't have dinner." I say.

"Okay, I'll keep it in your room and leave." I grabbed his hand before he could move.

He raises a questioning look in my direction and I instantly leave his hand.

"Uhm... where.. are you going? " I ask.

"Unlike you I'm fit and fine and have many works to do. So, I better leave. " He says and goes to the kitchen to keep the food.

"Did u check your temperature?" He asked from kitchen.

"I had to check that? " I asked not knowing what to do.
He came back and looked not very pleased.

"Haven't you mom dad taught you something?"

He said and I froze.

Maybe realisation hit him and he stopped looking at me.
"I.. I am sorry... It.. It just slipped out from my mouth.. " He felt guilty but his words had already pierced my heart few secs back.

"I... it's okay.. U can leave. " I whispered and left to my room.

I founded my quilt and went inside it holding a pillow close to my chest.
I know I'm not lucky enough to have the love and care of parents 24/7 but nobody has a right to say that.

What did he even mean?

Maybe, he didn't say it intentionally but his words were right.

I don't know household chores, can't cook a proper meal, can't even help myself. I can only study, and until I find a job, it's useless.
I'm a worthless human. If I can't manage myself, my home, my life what can I do in life?

A felt somebody dipping in the bed beside me.

"Mallika." His voice was soft yet guilty.

I didn't replied. I was in tears by now.

Was it my fault?

"I'm really sorry, please lets clear it out before it becomes a misunderstanding."  He apologizes but I was numb.

He removed the quilt from my upper body and squeezed my eyes shut.

"Can we talk? " He asked caressing my hair softly..
Don't do this, I don't wanna melt in your sweetness.

"Just once, and I promise I'll leave. " I got up, wiped my tears and turned away from him.

I sat leaning next to the headboard averting his gaze.