Chapter 13.

The next morning...
I trot into the kitchen just as Kevin finishes blending his smoothie. He pours his freshly made drink into a cup, then puts the blender in the fridge. I tug my earphones out of my ears, place them on a nearby counter, and remove my shirt that's drenched in sweat. I quickly turn back and throw it down the hall, into the foyer. Aiden should be on his way now and he can do laundry first.

"Had a good run?" Kevin asks to fill the awkward silence between us.

"Eighteen miles." I walk to the sink. I turn on the faucet and dip my head, bringing my mouth to the cool stream of water. I take big gulps.

"What happened to your face?"

I force myself to pull away from the water before I make myself throw up. "Sterling."

"Sterling clawed your face up?" 

I shrug and splash water on my face. "It was an accident." I don't want to tell him about Sterling's nightmare. I told him there was nothing to worry about and, even though she didn't have any control over it, I was wrong. Clearly seeing Arleen and going back to that damn house was a mistake that I truly regret. Plus, it's not my hell to tell. If Sterling chooses not to tell Kevin then he won't know. "You're not going to pour her cup?" I gesture to the drink in his hands. "I thought smoothies were y'all thing." I dry my hands and face with napkins.

"She's still in bed."

"What?" I feel my brows furrow. "What are you talking about?"

"I've been here for half an hour and nothing. I figured she was up late last night and she's sleeping in now."

Flashes of last night hit me like a fucking migraine. Sterling forgave me but didn't say anything else after that. I cried like a baby for almost half an hour then we just sat there while our thoughts consumed what was left of us. She cried more. She cried herself to sleep. It was late, but we still woke up early. She was wide awake when I left for my run.

Maybe she fell back asleep, but I don't like this feeling in my gut.

"Wait here," I order Kevin as I hurry out of the kitchen.

I rush upstairs to my bedroom.

"Sterling?" I knock on the door before opening it halfway. The curtains, the blackout curtains have been closed, and the light from the hall slips into the dark room. She's still in bed, lying on her side and facing this way. She winces at the new light and covers her face with a pillow. "Sterling?" I step farther into the room. She mumbles something I can't make out, turning over as I approach her. "Kid?" I nudge her shoulder and get no response. "Kevin made you a smoothie, I think it's strawberry. If you want it, you gotta come downstairs."

"Just leave me alone," she says in a flat tone.

"Sterling?"

"Go."

"No. Come on, kid, you had a rough night but it's morning, it's literally a new day," I tell the back of her head.

Nothing.

"We can make a homemade pizza for breakfast," I try.

Again. Nothing.

"Sterling...?" I whisper, horrified. I have a dreadful feeling I know how this is going to play out, and I don't think I have the strength for it.

"Just go."

I clear my throat, trying to fight off the lump building there. "Come on, kid, get up," I croak in a hoarse voice. I nudge her arm and she doesn't respond. I tug at the blanket and she doesn't care. "Please, kid, just get up. Sit-sit-sit up or something. Please?" There's no strength in my voice. There's no...I realize I didn't start stuttering until Sterling came around. Worse moment to think of something so useless, but what the hell? I can't think straight right now.