Chapter 26: Together

~To The Story~

"When did Nagisa say (y/n)-san is coming to Tokyo?" Okuda asked.

"Hmm..." Karma hummed, thinking back to what Nagisa told him yesterday. "Next week."

Okuda nodded and smiled. "I'm excited to see her again..." She pauses, reluctant to ask the next question. "A-aren't you?"

Karma pursed his lips. He wouldn't use the word excited per se. It has been almost a year since the two of you last spoke, and the two of you didn't exactly end off on a positive note. Yet, that doesn't stop him from wanting to see you. Wanting to know if you still want to have a relationship with him.

Although, it would be strange to spring into a romantic relationship with you after one year of no talking. Not wanting to get his hopes up Karma chooses to not hold his breath. Maybe the two of you can at least start over? Well, that's at least if you want to.

Then again, who says you want to see him again at all? Nagisa couldn't give him any intel regarding what your current feelings are for him. Well, it's not like Karma bothered asking anyways.

"A little," he half-shrugs, hiding any sort of emotions rushing through him.

"I'm sure she's excited to see you," Okuda assures him. She has no way of knowing. It's just a feeling she has.

Sure, she's aware of how bitter the relationship between you and Karma ended off, but that wasn't enough to get you to cease your feelings for him. She can tell how much you like him.

As much as Karma appreciates the fragile scientist's words, he does doubt that you're excited to see him.

"Nakamura suggested a welcome back party for her."

"I heard," Karma says simply, pretending not to be too invested.

"... Are you coming?" Okuda asked warily.

"Probably not." He answers bluntly.

Karma didn't mean to sound so closed off when conversing with Okuda. Bringing your name up reminds him of the last time you spoke to him.

"Why not?" She furrowed her brows disappointingly.

"It'll just be awkward for everyone if the two of us were there."

And to save everyone that awkwardness, he thought it'd be best not to show up. Honestly, everyone should be thanking him. He doesn't know why Nakamura got so mad at him.

Besides, if he wants to talk to you, he would rather do that in private.

"I think you should still come." Okuda encouraged.

Karma spared his friend a glance.

"Nakamura put you up for this, didn't she?"

"N-no!" She squeaks, shoulders jumping. "I swear she didn't!"

Karma kept staring at her, giving her that 'really?' look. Okuda's bottom lip quivered, trying her best to keep it together, to prove to Karma that she can lie.

And she did so well... until she sighed and decided just to out with it.

"... Yes." She lowers her head in shame.

He chuckles. "Why do you even bother lying? You're bad at it."

Okuda droops her shoulders and whines under her breath.

"I just don't like lying." She sighs. "A-anyway, I won't force you to go if you don't want to."

"Appreciate it," Karma says.