History of Humanity

Once the two mineral fanatics calmed themselves, the trio walked back to the clearing in front of the bridge Kinro and Ginro guarded.

Amelie randomly blurted out to Chrome, "Fun fact: Did you know Cinnabar is a toxic mercury sulfide mineral with a chemical composition of HgS? It's the only important ore of mercury and it has a bright red color that has caused people to use it as a pigment. As well as carve it into jewelry and ornaments for thousands of years in many parts of the world."

He blinked, "I um, I only understood the last half of that sentence."

Senku waved it off, breaking the Cinnabar into small pieces, "Don't mind her. She does that—More like fun facts, Amelie. That was a mouthful."

"Cinnabar. Also known as the philosopher's stone," Senku informed, throwing the pieces into a pot sitting over a fire close by, "It showed up in Dragon Quest, too. Heat it up and you get mercury."

Amelie spoke in between fake coughs, "Nerd."

"Says the girl who played Uki Doki Memorial."

Amelie gasped, "It was one time! I was twelve!"

Her complaints were ignored as Senku continued with the Cinnabar, Chrome watching intently.

"There they go again," Ginro said with a nervous smile.

While Kinro was far from amused.

With a warning tone, he stabbed his spear into the ground and spoke, "Do as you like outside the village. But take so much as one step over this bridge and I'll kill you. Rules are rules."

Neither scientist was fazed, Senku just grinned and continued to stir.

"Melt some gold into the mercury, and..."

Amelie stepped up to Kinro, leaving barely a foot in between them.

She was met with a cautious glare as soon as she moved, but she never broke eye contact.

She decided to mess with the serious guard, slowly tracing a finger down his arm that tensed under her touch.

She smirked, mischief written all over her face, "So serious. You ever relax?"

His features relaxed, but only a smidge, "Not around possible threats."

"Oh? So, we aren't certain threats anymore? Just possible? That's an upgrade, I'll take it."

She got what she wanted with a wink, "Mind if I borrow this, handsome? 'Kay thanks."

"Hey!" he reached for it as she quickly gained distance, gripping the end of it.

All she did was smirk and tug on the shaft of the spear she held, tugging him closer and making him lose his hold.

She twirled it like a baton and held it to Senku from the hilt end.

"Bravo," Senku commented dryly.

Senku dipped the spear into the pot he'd been busy with that was over a fire.

Kinro couldn't help but be startled for his poor spear.

"Don't inhale the smoke," Amelie advised.

"It'll kill you," Senku assured.

"Yeah, that part."

Kinro's eyes widened in alarm.

Senku pulled out the spear, revealing more 'sorcery' as it had turned to gold.

"Senku's become the new Midas," Amelie crossed her arms.

The leek presented his latest project, "And now you have a shiny golden spear."