The Philosophers Stone: Part 23

[The next night, Hazel, Ron, Hermione and Draco are being led to Hagrid's hut by Mr. Filch.]
Filch: A pity they let the old punishments die. There was a time detention would find you hanging by your thumbs in the dungeons. God, I miss the screaming. [Draco gulps, and Hermione rushes by.]

"Why is he still there?! He hates kids," Lily says with wide eye.
"Did he just say he liked to tourcher kids..." Regulus asks wide eyed.
"Dumbedore, we are going to have a talk about employment here at Hogwarts once this is all done with," Amelia says her jaw tight as she clenches it to not lash out her thoughts. Dumbledore just nods his head knowing he shouldn't argue with her.

Filch: You'll be serving detention with Hagrid tonight. He's got a little job to do inside the dark forest. [Hagrid appears with a crossbow. He sniffles.] A sorry lot this, Hagrid. Oh, good God, man, you're not still on about that bloody dragon, are you?

"So they got in trouble for being out late... and then their punishment is to go into the forbidden forest at night," Amelia says barely able to contain her rage as she writes this down. This causes a fit to be thrown since most people had a soft spot for the three. James faints since he knows there's dangerous things out there. Lily just throws water on him to wake him up.

Hagrid: [sniffs and sighs] Norbert's gone. Dumbledore sent him off to Romania to live in a colony.
Hermione: Well, that's good, isn't it? He'll be with his own kind.
Hagrid: Yeah, but what if he don't like Romania? [Filch rolls his eyes.] What if the other dragons are mean to him? He's only a baby, after all.
Filch: Oh, for Gods sake, pull yourself together, man. You're going into the forest, after all. Got to have your wits about you.

"Well that's mean, he's emotional, leave him be," Regulus says understanding the pain of losing someone you love.

Draco: The forest? I thought that was a joke! We can't go in there. Students aren't allowed. And there are...[a howl sounds]...werewolves!

Remus looks down and Hazel hugs him tightly making him freeze up before returning the hug.

Filch: There's more than werewolves in those trees, lad. You can be sure of that. [Draco looks frightened.] Nighty-night. [He leaves to go back into the castle]

"I hate that man, he's so crule," McGonagall says. In the back of her mind she's wondering why she sent them. That doesn't seem like something she would do.

Hagrid: Right. Let's go.
[In the Forbidden Forest, the group walks along a path to a tree. Hagrid stops, bends down and dips his fingers in a silver puddle. He pulls out his fingers and rubs them together. A silver trail smears with his fingers.]

Everyone gasps, some first years crying at the sight if they know what it is. Most older students grow mad.
"WHO IN THEIR RIGHT MIND WOULD KILL A UNICORN!!" Bellatrix yells out.
This was something that was known to not do, no matter who you are and it made everyone get mad at whatever would do it.

Hazel: Hagrid, what's that?
Hagrid: What we're here for. See that? That's unicorn's blood, that is. I found one dead a few weeks ago. Now, this one's been injured bad by something. [Hazel suddenly sees a large cloaked figure walking through the trees. She looks at Hagrid.] So, it's our job to find the poor beast. Ron, Hermione, you'll come with me.

"What the heck was that?" Remus says in shock as most people cower in fear at something being in the forest with the first years.

Ron: Okay.
Hagrid: And Hazel, you'll go with Malfoy. [Draco grimaces, and Hazel nods.]

"You're putting two first years together in the forest, with no protection and no professor to search for the thing murdering unicorns?" Narcissa says deathly calm making people move away from her.