Ch 1: New Year, New Problems

Your P.O.V.

It's new years eve in Gotham City, and it's quite nice. And it's quite odd since today is my twenty-fifth birthday too. Though, let's just say seven years away from home takes a lot from you. And I should know that, considering that I had almost died recently. By the way, the names Y/n L/n, E/c eyes, H/l H/c hair, and got some decent sized muscles too.

Now you're probably wondering what I meant by "I had almost died." Well, I was in the US military for the last seven years. My older brother, Alex L/n, had gone when I was twelve and came back four years later. I always looked up to him and wanted to prove I could be just like him. He's the whole reason that I joined the army to begin with. And as soon as I turned eighteen, I enrolled and got selected.

Now one thing you should know is that I'm incredibly smart. I have an IQ of almost three hundred, which is the highest in history. By age three, I was already taking things apart and then rebuilding them. But I'm not like other child prodigies who only care about science. I actually try to use my intellect to do what's best for people. I was even able to graduate from college by the age of thirteen.

It would've been earlier, but my family couldn't afford college at first. You see, Gotham is a city full of gangs, corrupt cops, and poverty. My parents, brother, and I grew up in Gotham's worst district: the Narrows. It was by far the worst district in the entire city for many reasons. Homeless on the streets, run down buildings, and tons of gangs. So yeah, let's just say that you'd be luck to not live there.

Anyways, once I was in the army, it was easy to make a name for myself. I was an excellent strategizer, an expert with weapons, and followed orders. So I was able to move through the ranks from Private to Major General in three years. And I was stationed in Iraq, Syria, and Iran for just over two years each. And I have seen lots of things that I hope to never see again. Which is what had lead up to me almost getting killed.

I was with my troops in Iran, going over plans to stop a bombing. But a suicide bomber in a plane had crashed into our camp. It had ended up killing over a dozen of the troops there. Men and women who weren't going to be able to see their families again. As for me, a piece of the planes propeller had gotten stuck in my chest. I was luck it was a meer inch away from my heart. But I wish I could say the same to the people who had lost their lives.

I got an honorable discharge a few days ago, after getting out of a hospital. And a part of me was happy to be home in Gotham again. It was five pm and I just got off of my plane here at the airport. At the moment, I was trying to get a taxi to get a ride. I had on a dark green military uniform and a bag full of some clothes I had. After a few minutes, I was finally able to get a cab to pull over.

Driver: Where you off to pal?

Y/n: The Narrows.

Driver: Are you for real?

Y/n: Yes, now drive.

Driver: Your funeral.

With that, the taxi driver started to take me to the Narrows. It was quiet the whole way, and I couldn't help but think what would happen. I haven't seen my family in seven years, so who knows what's changed with them. After about thirty minutes, the taxi crossed the only bridge to the Narrows. Once the taxi had stopped, I paid the guy thirty bucks for the ride. Once I got my stuff and got out, the driver had sped off.

As I looked around, I saw that nothing has really changed. The streets still had a ton of trash laying around, plus some homeless people walking about. I felt bad for them on account that they all had nothing. As I made my way through the district, I saw all the old buildings still standing. There was likely still some homeless people living in them, trying to get by. After half an hour, I finally made it back to my home, my family's bar.