Ch 2: Calm Before The Storm

Selina's P.O.V.

It was a long couple of days since I pulled off that jewelry heist. And I have to say that I made off with at least one million dollars in diamonds. Now all I had to do was lay low until the heat died down. So I decided to go and buy myself a drink at a local bar in the Narrows. And honestly, it wasn't as bad as the rest of the district was. The place was one of the few buildings that had actually seemed decent.

Well, that was until the bartender kept hitting on me. I was able to ignore it at first, but the jackass kept trying to flirt with me. So I paid for the drinks I had and then took my leave. Though I did see some guy in a military uniform walk past as I left. So it could be someone that I could look into in a couple of days. But for now, I decided to get some sleep for the night. And who knows, maybe something interesting is going to happen.

After walking for about ten minutes, I got to my apartment. Of course, the place was a bit of a shithole, but this is Gotham after all. Besides, it's just one of a few places I have around the city. I always have some spare cash at each one in case of emergencies, mainly cops. And I always have ways of making more if I need too. But for right now, I wanted to take the chance to relax, considering how rare it is to relax in Gotham.

After about twenty minutes, I was getting bored. The only good thing on was the countdown for the new year. Of course, I could just put on a movie to pass the time. But I wasn't really in the mood for anything right now. So a few minutes after the countdown ended, I decided to get some sleep. But as I passed a window, I saw something that caught my attention. Smoke, and it looked like that it was just a mile away.

Usually, I don't get involved with stuff like arsons. But for some odd reason, I was being drawn to it. Because the next thing I know, I'm in my costume and running across the rooftops. After a few minutes of running, I had found the source of the fire. It was the bar that I was at over thirty minutes ago. And it was on fire, though I had to idea how it happened. Though I knew there had to be some people still in there.

I don't really get involved with having to save people. But I don't up and kill them like some of those other nuts. So I made my way into the bar through an opened window. There was fire and smoke everywhere, which made it hard to see and breath. And part of the building was starting to come down too. As I searched the bar, I tried calling out to anyone who could be inside. After I searched the top floor, I made my way to the main bar.

That's when I saw all of the dead bodies that littered the floor. Half of them had caught fire while the other half looked like they were shot. And I even saw the one guy who hit on me was beaten to death. But that's when I saw a guy in the middle of the room barely moving. The guy looked like he was trying to get my attention. So I grabbed him and quickly got him out of the bar. And as luck would have it, a small part of the wall came down, giving us an exit.

Once I had the guy out of the bar, I set him on the sidewalk. Then I got a good look at his wounds, which was some burns and a scar on the side of his head. The guy looked like he had been shot, yet he somehow survived. I was honestly surprised that someone could take a bullet like that and be alive. But I knew he wouldn't be alive for long if he didn't get medical attention.

Sadly, the nearest hospital was thirty miles away. I wouldn't have enough time to get him there by foot. And an ambulance would take to long to get to him in time. So I decided to take him to my place so I could patch him up. It was a good thing I knew how to help treat a bullet wound. So after rushing to my place, I set him on the couch and went to grab a medical kit. Once I had it, I did what I could to deal with his wound and burn scars.

After ten minutes, the guy was bandaged up and resting. Though it looked like he was going to probably die at any moment. For right now, all I could do was wait and see what was going to happen. I couldn't just leave him on the street since he'd definitely be killed. Though I had a feeling that this guy was going to bring trouble. But I would have to wait and see as to what happens next. So until then, I was stuck here, having to keep an eye on him.