Chapter 15: The Floating Lights

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Escaping the palace was the least of their worries, Percy noted as they clambered through the sea of people.

He could feel a dull ache in his legs, the afternoon training had aggravated his cut from yesterday.

However he had no worries for the evening, following the princess wherever her heart desired.

Athena's daughter it seemed, always had a plan.

Percy was lost in his own wonder and bafflement as he saw the banners hung around the town, their colours bright and bold, displaying an owl and spear.

Various merchants called out their wares and the bakers handed out free treats to the passerbys, hoping to lure them into their shops.

Young girls with decorated hair danced around the town square, tossing flowers around without a care in the world.

The princess grabbed his arm, "Look over there!" she pointed, gesturing to a a colourful tree, "I never knew that they decorated this much!"

Despite all the months he stayed there, the world on the land still excited the prince of the seven seas.

It's wonders were new and ever changing, evolving in colours and brightness.

He'd come to find this world was as close to his heart as his underwater home.

The princess of Athens was considerably less uptight a few hours later, finally allowing herself to enjoy the day.

"How about a...boat ride? The townsmen say it's what they look forward to the most...I've never really.....would you like to accompany me?" the princess asked, her face a light tint of pink.

Percy nodded. He had no idea what this lantern was, but If his princess suggested it, he would willingly comply. Percy nodded, squeezing her hand in affirmation.

Annabeth gave him a small smile, "I will go pay for a boat."

Is it the lake we went to before? Percy gestured.

The princess nodded, "yes but it's the lower part."

The pair walked through the town for a few more hours, enjoying each other's company and seeing what the town had to offer, together.

The pair set off towards the docks before sunset, managing to secure a boat from a large, burly sailor.

The princess mounted the boat first, tossing the sailor a coin as Percy wobbled on board.

It was the most peculiar feeling for the young merman to be sailing atop the waves, as opposed to gliding within them.

He also found his heart in somersaults everytime he neared the princess, so who was he to judge peculiar feelings?