Chapter 28: Politics and Problems

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The first rays of the sun as they set foot on her homeland should have invigorated the princess of Athens.

But even the sun itself seemed dim when she noticed the dim streams of tears across Percy's face as he avoided her gaze.

Yes, he had agreed to escort her to the palace. He did not push her away when she took his hand.

Yet..she knew had changed between her and Percy, and Annabeth was unable to place the cause of the divergence

Everything had been perfect..or so she'd thought.

She feared she'd asked for too much, misinterpreted what their relationship meant. She couldn't lose Percy, he was her dearest friend and closest companion....and even though she wanted more, she could not have it.

Maybe she made a mistake kissing him at the ball. Annabeth had always been in control, but she let her inhibitions take over her that night. She's allowed the tendrils of bed desire to wrap around her and let her have one, euphoric moment of respite in the growing cesspool that was her life.

Yet...if Percy truly hated it, why would he kiss her back so delicately? Why would he hold her close aboard the ship?

Even now, Percy held her hand so tenderly that it made her question her sanity. Was she imagining the aching chasm between them?

She desperately wished it was a nightmare. But one at his sea green eyes, dim and downcast was an indication that it was not all in her head. It was as real as her breaking heart.

 It was as real as her breaking heart

Was it pity? Annabeth frowned. She was the princess of Athens, she did not need to be sheltered.

"Sweet child," her aunt's shrill voice pulled her out of her stupor, "How I missed you so!" the queen of Athens plastered on a smile, sashaying towards Annabeth, her burgundy train swaying behind her.

Annabeth let go of Percy's hand, before embracing her aunt in a flagrant display of emotion. Despite being surrounded by courtiers who knew of their mutual distaste for each other, the pair still put on a show.

"Dearest Aunt," Annabeth smiled. Queen Minerva's eyes narrowed as the princess did not bow.

"You must be tired, child. We are holding a banquet in honour of your return in a weeks time!"

Annabeth tried not to frown at her aunt's deliberate use of the word child. It was common knowledge that Annabeth's reign was years overdue, and painting her as a petulant young girl would give people the wrong impression.

"How kind of you, dearest Aunt," she crooned, "I look forward to your soirée. I fondly remember how my mother, Queen Athena, would host them."

Minerva didn't reply, smile stretching paper thin. She mumbled a few words of goodbye, taking half the peering court with her to Gods know where.

Annabeth turned to Percy, glad for the moment of peace," I would love an escort to this ridiculous dinner," she laughed lightly.

When Percy did not reply, she tried again.

"I would greatly appreciate your company at the banquet. What do you say?" she asked, biting her bottom lip in anticipation.

Percy had refused to meet her eyes. And Annabeth felt as if she could not breathe.

I do not think so, he signed, I'm feeling...unwell.

"O..of course," she managed a smile, hoping to cover her crushing disappointment.

She understood that they could not be together all the time. That there would be days that he could not accompany her.

She'd gotten so used to his company, especially since Olympus, that it was almost achingly boring when he was not around. He painted all her days in colours she could never find with anyone else.

And now...it was painful to see him avoid her. To be so...withdrawn. She'd never felt this disconnected from him and it scared her. What if their bond was falling apart? What if he realised that he did not share the same feelings towards her?

"Princess, a word?" asked General Fredrick Chase, appearing out of thin air. A perfect distraction

"Of course, father," she smiled, excusing herself from Percy's side. He did not say goodbye to her before leaving towards his room.

The general scrunched his thick eyebrows as Percy left, "Trouble in paradise, daughter?" he asked, concerned.

"It...I'm not sure," she sighed

Fredrick cleared his throat, "I...I'm aware we do not usually speak of such..personal things. But as a married man, I may be able to offer advice should you choose to talk about your..issues."

Annabeth shifted on her feet, a little shocked at her father's kind words. Their relationship was certainly not as open or free.
He'd always seen her more as his princess than his daughter. And that's how Annabeth came to view him, as the general she could trust with her life.

Only after Matthew and Bobby were born did Fredrick begin embracing the role of fatherhood. Helen was a wonderful match for him. She helped him improve his familial relationship with his daughter as well.

"Thank you, Father, I'll consider it," Annabeth smiled, content with his attempt at parenting.

He nodded, face moulding back into an impassive expression, "I had to talk about something"

"My aunt?" Annabeth rolled her eyes.

"There are cases of rebellion in the western planes. Villagers are revolting against the new tax reforms, they've even killed three overseers," the general informed.

Annabeth cursed under her breath. Of course, this was happening. She knew it was going to happen, it was obvious given her aunt's lavish lifestyle and governing choices.

Though it was still hard to think about her people's suffering. They were her responsibility after all.

"Let me guess, that witch wants you to crush the rebellion?" Annabeth pinched her temple.

"She's asked me to dispatch a few soldiers to make an example of them," Fredrick nodded, "And with the rumours of war between Athens and the Sea, I fear we will have a revolution on our hands."

"Do not worry, I have a plan," Annabeth affirmed, "I would prefer to discuss it somewhere more...private."

"Let us go to my estate, your brothers have missed you as well," he suggested.

Annabeth nodded, agreeing with her father's suggestion. She almost suggested that she bring Percy with them, immediately putting the thought out of her head.

Instead, she allowed her brothers and political discussions to distract her from her ailing heart, half of which remained firmly with Percy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
*Le Gasp* Did I actually post? Oh My Gods!!

We're nearing the end of the story, so any suggestions?

(Posted 19/10/23- 1:14am)

Stay tuned!!!
-S