Chapter 16: The Court of Vipers

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"You summoned me, auntie dearest?" Annabeth bowed, lowering her gaze towards the carpeted floors.

"It's Your Highness to you, dearest niece," said the queen, offering the princess a serpant like grin as their gazes aligned. A fitting expression for herself, and her court of vipers.

"Pardon me, Your Highness," Annabeth replied, gritting her teeth together, "How may I be of service to you?"

"Athens is indeed lucky to have such a fine and domestic princess," one of the courtiers commented from the sidelines, earning silent snickers from the court.

The princess of Athens set her sights on the man, the earl of Kallikrates, the newest member of her aunt's posse.

No

She would not be made a mockery of in a court that was her bloodright.

"I am indeed the princess of Athens, Earl Kronosek, it will do you well to remember your place," she said, holding her head high as she levelled him a glare.

He hung his head, in symmetry with half the court.

"Enough of this nonsense," Queen Minerva's voice boomed, "Annabeth, I need you to travel to Olympus at dawn tomorrow."

"For what purpose?"

The Queen rolled her eyes, "Why must you interfere in matters that do not pertain to you?"

"Well...one day I shall be sitting atop the throne. So I believe...everything related to the kingdom pertains to me."

Minerva frowned, "All you must do is to meet King Zeus, sign an agreement and ensure that the cargo he will provide is placed safely on the boat......will it be too much for you to handle?"

"Not at all, your highness. It will be my pleasure to oversee this for you," Annabeth replied with a tightknit smile.

She desperately scanned the crowd for her brother several times, he was no where to be seen.

She needed to know more about her assigned task....and Malcolm was always welcome in her aunt's fraudulent court.

After she was dismissed, she dashed to her brothers chambers.

"Malcolm!" she called, entering his room.

"Y...your highness," greeted a maid, dropping into a hasty curtsy, "The prince has taken ill...the physician has prescribed him a week in bed. He is alseep as of the moment," she explained.

"Oh," Annabeth blinked, "I...shall not bother him then. Have the physician give me a full report by the evening."

"Yes, princess."

"Good," she sighed, disappointed at the turn of events.

As she passed by the long winding pillars and stretched out marble floors, her mind racing with unanswered questions, she suddenly had another idea.

"How is my dearest friend?" she grinned, throwing the doors to his room open as she strolled in.

The boy turned towards her, his features morphing into shock.

The princess stopped in her tracks, fire creeping into her veins as she noted his shirtless state.

Working as a soldier has tremendously improved his figure, alongside a good diet, he'd built a good amount of muscle, which rolled out across his arms and back

She traced the deep lines running along bare chest,prominent against his tan skin until her eyes met his confused ones.

She cursed herself silently as she realised she was staring.

"I...yes....you...," she stuttered, smoothing her gown out in an effort to comfort herself, "I was wondering if you would like to accompany me to the kingdom of Olympus? We set sail at dawn tomorrow."

He barely nodded, his face slightly flushed.

"I hope that is a yes?" Annabeth asked carefully, biting her lip in anticipation.

After her previous ship had sunk, leaving her marooned, her aunt had all but declared her a caged bird, barring her from ever setting foot in the ocean.

The war had not helped either.

All she ever yearned for was a chance to set sail, allowing the gentle sea breeze to flow through her hair in a lazy caress.

Percy's movements brought her out of her thoughts.

Will we be inside the sea?

"No we will be above it," she replied, slightly confused as to what he meant.

She had originally assmued that he was a sailor when she found him washed up on the seashore.

However, his aversity to the water soon made her realise otherwise.

Though she still wondered about his life before he washed up on the shore.

' Alright, I shall accompany you ,'. He signed.

Annabeth smiled, a peculiar sensation tingled within the depths of her stomach.

"I shall see you at dawn," she smiled, bidding him farewell.

She collapsed atop her bed as she reached her chambers, her nerves buzzing like bees in anticipation.

Several thoughts flooded her mind.

Why was her aunt sending her?

What is the shipment she must securely bring back?

She wished more than anything to go awaken her brother and prod him for answers.

However she was not stupid enough to risk catching an infection a night before her departure, and Malcolm deserved his rest.

Instead, she focusssed her mind on to something other than her burning curiosity.

She would get to meet her friends again. And for that, she was extremely grateful.

Annabeth settled into her covers, in hopes for a peaceful sleep.

Sea green eyes were the last thing she saw before she was lulled into a world of dreams.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Any suggestions for the story?

(Posted on 30/1/23)

Stay tuned!!!
—S