Chapter 21: Intricate silence

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Annabeth stirred first, watching the first embers of the sunrise shining against the glistening waves.

She felt the boy move from beside her and turned towards him, to see his eyes glinting under the golden days of a new day.

"You know...I never did get your name," she whispered, voice as soft as the morning breeze, "and I consider you my closest companion."

The boy shrugged running a hand through his hair as he sat up, giving her a lopsided smile.

"How about you write down your name?" she suggested weakly. They'd already discovered that the boy could not write the way Annabeth did, or read in a similar manner.

She thought not much of it, for most commoners were illiterate. One of the things she vowed to change during her rule.

Thought now it left her in a rather peculiar position with the boy.

"how about I teach you the alphabet? That way we can spell out your name," Annabeth suggested, a few seconds later.

The boy shrugged, nodding his head in agreement.

"Alright then," she smiled, reaching over to a rather pointy rock, as she set off to find a suitable place to write.

She stumbled upon a small patch of land to the corner of the hill, facing out towards the sea.

She bent down by the strip, clearing the area before she wrote down the basics of language.

She motioned the boy over when she was done.

He sat down behind her, quite close. She could feel his hair tickle her cheek as he leaned over her shoulder.

"That's...α," she began, explaining the sounds of the letters and their combinations until she was certain the boy understood.

A few minutes after the session passed in a pregnant silence. And Annabeth watched, mesmerized as the boy pursed his lips, his eyes shining under the newly risen sun.

Wordlessly, he reached out from behind her, taking hold of her arm as he shifted closer. Their bodies pressed together, and Annabeth couldn't help but be aware of his hard chest, or how his breath felt against her neck.

Slowly, the boy circled certain letters, with her hand, lightly pressing his weight against her as he did so.

The princess was lost in the feeling, she did not realize until he moved away, shaking her lightly by the shoulder and motioning that he was done.

"I...oh....," she felt her cheeks heat as she faced him, "let's see."

She peered over to what he marked in the soil, "per...shea?" she asked, turning her eyes towards him.

The boy shook his head, 'the first part' he signed.

"so your name begins with Per..?" Annabeth asked.

He nodded, his eyes scanning the board of letters over and over again.

They tried a couple more combinations, but none of them seemed to be correct.

They were on the verge of giving up until the boy's eyes lit up, and he took her by the hand to the corner of the cliff.

"What is it?" she asked, confused.

The boy pointed out towards the mass of water the cliff overlooked.

"The...ocean?" she asked slowly.

The boy shook his head, signaling her to try again.

"The...horizon? The sea?" she continued.

The boy stopped at the mention of the sea, his eyes lighting up.

He clapped, motioning her to join them together.

"Per....sea.....Percy....your name is Percy?" she asked, as butterflies fluttered in her stomach. Percy. What a wonderful name, perfect for her mystery man.

The boy....Percy nodded, his lips twisting into a beautiful smile as he took her hand in his, kissing her wrist.

"Percy," she smiled, savoring the name.

He looked up at her, cocking an eyebrow. He lay down in a huff, tired from all the thinking perhaps.

"Nothing I just....love your name," she smiled, staring intently into his dazzling eyes. She lay down beside him, propping herself on her arm

Percy caressed her skin as she did, cupping her face with his warm palm, running his thumb across her jawline as he looked into her eyes.

His gaze held so much adoration that it made Annabeth's cheeks flush and her heart race, it was magical.

She tilted her head closer to his, Inches away from his lips. She felt his breath, could hear his heart thunder against his chest, in the same rhythm as hers as she ran her fingers through his hair, the world fading around them as the pair lapsed into a heavy, intricate silence

 She felt his breath, could hear his heart thunder against his chest, in the same rhythm as hers as she ran her fingers through his hair, the world fading around them as the pair lapsed into a heavy, intricate silence

"I...I don't know what I would've done without you these past few months," she smiled, aching to close the distance between them.

"Your Highness! We had a search party out for you and- oh my-" a voice interrupted, belonging to Hestia.

The pair cursed the interruption in silence

Annabeth rolled aside, quickly getting on her feet as she smoothed her skirts, still in the same gown as yesterday.

"I am...pardon the interruption, princess. We have been searching for you all morning. Princess Thalia, Prince Luke, Prince Jason, and Countess Piper have just arrived as well," she added, her own face filled with embarrassment.

"No...matter," Annabeth sighed, "Please lead the way."

Her mind raced with the thoughts from the night prior. She had many theories to bring forth to Luke and Thalia, and she was glad they had arrived.

If only they arrived towards the evening, she thought.

"Of course," Hestia replied, with a light bow.

And with that, the couple marched back towards the palace. The pair of them were disappointed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Yes
It is the chapter we've all been waiting for
Did you guys perSEA what I did there? Are y'all SHORE you liked it?

Any suggestions for the story?

(Posted 17/5/23- 12:02am)

Stay tuned!!
—S