Chapter 26: The Ball (Part Two)

Nothing else mattered to Annabeth at this moment

Nothing else mattered to Annabeth at this moment. His lips against hers, bonding their souls together.

The court, the mystery, and the questions all dimmed in comparison to the flame she carried for him.

A wave of pure satisfaction and joy crashed into her, deeper than the vastness of the ocean.

She was the princess of Athens. She was always in control, she always had a plan. She'd never broken protocol nor had she ever acted in a way that didn't benefit her. Her court and kingdom drove her.

But for him, she'd give into all her inhibitions over and over again. She'd allow herself a taste of heaven, a moment of freedom.

"Percy..." she hummed as they pulled apart, still entangled in each other's embrace. He smiled, his eyes gleaming, twinkling, like sinking ships on water...so inviting, she could jump in.

The swell of the music brought her back to reality, the harsh gazes of the court of Olympus burning a hole in her.

Public displays of affection were far less common here as compared to Athens.

Unless King Zeus was after a young maiden, of course. Then it seems that these vicious looks would be directed elsewhere.

However, for once, the young heir to Athens was unperturbed. Her soul was filled with a myriad of bravery....she felt as though she could accomplish anything.

She would not falter in her step, nor would she regret a single action. She was the daughter of one of the greatest kingdoms, belonging to the dynasty of celebrated and glorious queens.

She would fight for herself.

She glanced at Percy.

She would fight for him

Annabeth felt a pressure on her arm, whipping around to find a grinning Luke.

But she knew him well enough....there was nothing pleasant in his smile. She watched an equally uptight Thalia whisk away Percy.

Her heart pounded in her chest as she faced Luke, giving him a giddy smile for the sake of the crowd around them.

"I'd suggest you leave, Annabeth," Luke whispered, his grip on her forearm tightening precariously, "Queen Hera is furious. It's not going to end well."

"I cannot just run from a fight....we still don't know what's going on between my aunt and Zeus," she retorted, circling him as if they were about to engage in a dance.