Chapter 29: Intoxication

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The banquet was a hellious affair. Annabeth found herself trying to recall how she used to attend these events without Percy.

He made everything shimmer around her, the world seemed brighter. Without him, the air seemed lacklustre. The music lost its melody.

"You look as though someone stole your book," Malcolm appeared beside her, lightly bumping her shoulder, "Is everything alright with you?"

"Of course, it is," she sighed, too tired to lie yet unable to tell the truth. Malcolm would understand, he knew her better than everyone.

"Since when do you lie to me?" he questioned but did not press the issue

"Since when do you lie to me?" he questioned but did not press the issue. He stood next to her, turning away to scan the crowd

"It's been a long while since I've seen you, brother. How have you been?" Annabeth inquired, facing him.

She felt better knowing her brother was with her. She had missed him.

"I've been good," Malcom replied, a devious smile taking over his features, "better than good, in fact."

"Oh?" Annabeth raised an eyebrow, "you finally found yourself a companion?"

"Better yet, I stole yours," Malcolm grinned wider.

"What?" Annabeth whizzed around, confusion evident on her face as she faced her brother, "What do you mean?"

Malcolm shrugged, looking quite pleased with himself, "Your lover is quite a lightweight."

"Malcolm, what did you do?" Annabeth urged, shaking her brother's shoulder.

She didn't even deny the lover accusations. She just wanted to know what on earth her brother had done.

"Well, he just looked so sad after your trip," Malcolm shrugged, and Annabeth noted his languid movements. She was suprised she hadn't noted his intoxicated state before but...well her mind was preoccupied.

"Not quite sure what you did to him in Olympus, but I took it upon myself to fix the damage," he chuckled, "I doubt they have alcohol where he comes from."