Chapter 17: Setting Sail

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Annabeth closed her eyes as she boarded the ship, her lips perking up into a smile as the sea breeze caressed her hair, in a welcoming caress.

Oh how she missed this feeling!

She'd dreamed of the unsteady deck under her feet and the calls of the gulls and the hums of the waves. And so standing atop a ship felt surreal.

She opened her eyes, scanning the horizon as the water lapped against her vessel, beckoning her forward in a taunting manner.

The princess of Athens smiled. She felt at home.

She motioned to the captain to set sail, leaning against the railing as she watched her kingdom soon disappear.

She felt free

A few minutes later, she felt a presence behind her and immediately smiled, letting the familiar butterflies take root in her stomach.

The boy bumped her shoulder lightly, taking his place next to her.

"Why hello there," Annabeth smiled, her eyes taking in the sight before her, "I was wondering where you were," she said

This is a big vehicle.It was hard to find you, he signed

Annabeth opened her mouth to reply, when the ship ship jerked forward, landing Annabeth right into his arms, water droplets showering parts of the deck.

There it was again...that electrifying feeling that came everytime she was near him. Everytime she saw him.

In the unsteady lull of the ocean, he was the only constant.

"What's wrong captain?" Annabeth called across the deck, nestled in the boy's  warm embrace.

"It seems that we're in turbulent waters, princess, nothing to worry about. I've see worse in my day," the captain yelled, eyeing the water like it was his greatest foe.

The princess nodded.

She noted how the boy paled as she took a step back from him, his eyes wide and breathing uneven as she did so.

"Are you alright?" she asked, lightly touching his shoulder as he stared at the sea.

When he didn't say anything, Annabeth continued.

"How about we go to the resting quarters? You seem a little seasick," she said carefully, leading him away from the railing.

She watched as he hopped over every droplet of water, eyeing them as if they would cause him physical harm.

His breathing was ragged as they entered the captain's quarters, leaning against the desk while Annabeth closed the door.

"Are you alright?" she asked again, concerned, as she placed a hand on his shoulder, "would you like to lie down?"

He shook his head, clasping onto her hand as he took a long inhale, eyes tightly shut

Annabeth shifted closer, rubbing light circles along his shoulder with her free hand.

They stood there like that for a few minutes, a piercing silence which was filled by the sound of the sea.

"Better...?" Annabeth cooed as he opened his eyes, turning towards her and their entwined fingers.

He pulled them closer to himself, Annabeth moving along with his pace, as he held her hand carefully, bringing it to his lips, placing a light kiss on her knuckles.

Heat shot up Annabeth's spine as he turned his beautiful eyes towards her.
She resisted the urge to pull him closer, to press her lips along his jaw, to hold him tight and embrace him close.

Instead she took a careful breathe, trying to breathe out her lament of desire, "Are you alright?"

He nodded, a weak smile on his lips as his eyes bore into hers, as If they could see her thoughts, hear her yearning.

She shook her head, taking an abrupt step towards the door, "I...I have some work with the captain. Why don't you rest in here for a while? I'll find you when we arrive," she said, scurrying out the door without looking back at his handsome face.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Any suggestions for the story?

(Posted 18/2/23- 1:28am)

Stay tuned!!
—S