Chapter 2 - No way is this happening!

~ POV: Kyla Bower ~

When I wake up, I feel the light shining to my eyes which causes me to wake up. Contemplating whether I should go to school or not, I stick to the choice that I always regret making; going to school. Turning to look at the clock on my bed stand table, I look to see that it is six twenty four in the morning, I guess it's time to get up... not that I want too. Nevertheless, I grab my clothes for the day: a white t-shirt with pink and blue stripes, a pair of blue baggy jeans, and my old beaten up Van's.

Once all dressed up, I grab my backpack and keys to head out of my apartment. On my way to school, take in my surrounds sensing how calm it is, rather than the usual rowdy and busy traffic that happens in the mornings.

Then in almost 30 minutes of walking, I make it to school. Shoreville High School. Just as I'm passing the open gates of school, the bell rings. Rushing over to my locker and getting my books, I make my way to Pre-Calculus, my least favorite class.

Going inside the classroom, with my classmates would also don't understand any the teacher has been saying for the past 20 minutes, Riley decides to start talking to me. Riley, considers herself my friend; we use to hangout every now and then, but since I've lost my grandma and mom, I prefer to keep people at a distance. Scared to lose more people that I care about.

"Do you even understand what Mr. Ramirez is explaining?" Riley asks me in a whisper.

"He's explain electric current and that one formula and no I don't understand," I tell her in a whisper and point to the board.

"At least I'm not the only one," she responds to me in a boring tone.

Suddenly the phone of Mr. Ramirez's desk rings, snapping the attention of most of the class to the front. Walking to the phone, Mr. Ramirez picks it up and listens to what is being said on the other line, whilst looking around the class. When his eyes land on me, he ends the call with an okay and a thank-you.

"Ms. Bower, your being needed in the administration office"

Picking up my backpack from the floor and making my way to the class door, the class erupts in a childish a fit of "I wonder what she did" or "She's in trouble" remarks, making me roll my eyes. Once at the administration office, and being told by the secretary to be seated til the principal calls me, I start to get anxious and wondering if they found out I live by myself. Then the door to the principal's office opens, and I'm being summoned to enter. Sitting down in the chair opposite from the principal's desk, I begin to pick on the skin around my nails; it has been a habit of mine when I'm nervous.

As the principal sits down, I see that in her eyes is an emotion that I cannot distinguish between sadness, or concern. "Ms. Bower, I have been informed that as a minor you have been living alone for awhile now," she informs me. No way is this happening! Now at any other moment, it had to be now or all time. Shit! "I have already notify CPS, of your situation and they will be coming shortly to pick you up, and discuss somethings with you along with your grandmother's will. I am very sorry of your loss," the principal hands me a box of tissues as she finishes what she is telling me. I come up with a lie, anything to get her off my back. "Thank you, but I've been living with an old friend... but how did you know that my grandmother died. She's been dead for at least 7 months already with my mom," I tell her the last part in a low voice.

"I'm sorry to hear that Ms. Bower, truly, however I was not aware of that. When I was on the phone with CPS, they mentioned a grandmother of yours from your father's side," she tells me in soft tone.

Dumbfounded with this new information I let her know that I have not seen this grandmother of mine, I guess, since I was 4 years old. I barely remember her. "I'm sorry, Ms. Bower, but there is nothing I can do. My hands are tied," she ends just as she gets a knock on her office and the door opening to show a woman and man with badges.

~~~

At the CPS, Child Protective Services Department, I am told to sit and wait along with "we will let you know when there is any information we can give you". Hour and hours pass by and I am still waiting for them to let me know of any information, anything. As I hear a door opening and I turn see where the noise came from, I see the woman that was with me early come my way.

"Hello, Ms. Bower. I did not introduce myself earlier when we met but I am Lisa Sanders, your social worker that is working on your case. You can call me however you'd like. I just came to give you good news that we were able to get in contact with lawyer who worked on your grandmother's will," Lisa announces to me.

This is a lot to process.

"Okay? What's going to happen to me in the meantime?" I question her since she has given me no information about myself.

"The lawyer said that he will be sending a car for you to stay at a hotel in while he gets some paper work ready. He almost told me to tell you that tomorrow in the morning he will be going to the hotel to do a rundown on some important subjects that need to be addressed and to be ready by 8 in the morning".

~~~

At the hotel room and alone, I feel my body heavy. Sprawling out on the bed, I lay on my back and stare at the ceiling think of everything that happened today with school, the principal, CPS, the social worker, the will and lawyer. It has been a hectic day that I want this to end. With a final thought before I fall asleep, I think of my grandma and mom, and how I am all alone.

I certainly did not think anything crazy was going to happen.