Chapter 24 - Somber Birthday

~ POV: Kyla Bower ~

Waking up with a pounding headache, I open my eyes but immediately shut them tight. The sunlight coming through the windows too bright; I begin to stretch my limbs and ever so slowly open my eyes again, just this time I am successfully able to completely open them. Shifting in my bed, I bury my face in my pillow as last nights events run through my mind; finally telling the truth of my mom and grandma, having a breakdown, and a panic attack in front of my half brothers and dad. Last night was a fucking shit show. Finally, to top of what a mindfuck last night was, today's my birthday.

My first birthday without my mom and grandma.

Although, I've been saying I'm 16 to almost everyone, technically today I'm officially sixteen; I just considered myself a month or two before my birthday. Still lying in bed, I know I have to get up.

Without bothering to get ready immediately, I put on my slippers and head down; to the kitchen starving like a marvin. Downstairs, there is no one, it's dead silent. Fine for me.

Seeing as there's no one to bother me, I decide to make myself some breakfast. When I was younger, my mom started this somewhat tradition for birthdays where the birthday person got a big birthday breakfast. Reminiscing on those times, I go to pantry to grab some pancake mix. Halfway through making my breakfast feast, Mason came down first with Ryder trailing right behind him a couple steps away. I wouldn't have noticed Mason coming towards the kitchen, if it weren't for Ryder's voice talking about how good the house smelt.

"So....whatcha making?" Ryder asked drawing out for no reason. Frankly, I wasn't in the mood to explain why I was making pancakes, or for what.

"I'm just making some breakfast," I replied was a shrug. From my peripheral vision, I saw how Mason was just staring at me; it mostly look like he was analyzing me, as if he knew there was a deeper meaning to what this breakfast I was making held. Truth be told, I wanted a hole to swallow me than have to face Mason. He hasn't been all that nice to me since the moment I stepped foot into this house. Yet, the first time of me being vulnerable and on top of that having a panic attack, he starts to care? Makes no sense to me.

"What's going on here?" Levi asks coming to the kitchen bar where Ryder send Mason are seated. Just as I'm about to answer Christian, Elijah and dad all come too.

"So where's the party going to be?" Dad tosses out casually. Then turns to come to me and gives me a small smile asking me how my night was and if I'm okay, to which I inform him that I'm fine.

"Happy birthday, Kyla. Don't ever don't that I've forgotten about you or the day you were born" he tells me the last part in a low voice for only me to hear. I lower my head at shyness and feel my cheeks getting hotter so that no one can see, still earning an 'aw' from Ryder. When my shyness has passed, all the boys look at me with happiness and shock. However, all of the boys, dumbfounded, with this new information stare at me making me squirm under their eyes.

"What?!" shouts Ryder.

"Oh, you'll be in for a treat" whispers Elijah as he passes by me to get a mug for coffee, and quickly plucks a kiss on the side of my temple. I steal a glance at both Christian and Levi, who have smirks on their faces as if they know something I don't. Suddenly, both boys are surrounding me; with Levi to my back and Christian facing me. Out of nowhere, Christian's fingers are tickling me, while Levi holds my arms so that I don't move. As I laughing and plead for them to stop, Mason's question is what breaks me out of my fit of laughter; "Why didn't you say anything about it being your birthday before?"