1|| The Lake House

Lesley Livingston gently pulled back the faded black curtains just enough to peer out of the dusty window. Her gaze fixated on the tranquil lake that extended out before her. Mesmerized by its elegant flowing waters, a sense of serenity drifted over her.

The waters flowed gracefully. In such a precise manner, as if the lake knew its duty was to captivate prospective buyers, alluring them with its beauty.

"Awe!" Lesley extended her index finger, pointing at a flock of bluebirds as they gathered in the nearby trees. Shifting her gaze, her heart swelled with joy as her eyes landed on a family of ducks waddling in and out of the lake.

"It's truly beautiful and rejuvenating, Nick. Don't you agree?" Lesley bit her lower lip, desperate to move into the lake house already. Excitement rushed through her veins like sparks of electricity.

Before Nick could muster up a reply, the Livingston's realtor, Jackie, interjected in her calming yet professional voice, "This charming lake house was built in 1952 but was renovated in 2016. It still has such an incredibly nostalgic and peaceful feel, yet it's also modernly captivating." She clasped her hands together in front of her knee-length black skirt and smiled.

Jackie continued to venture through the house, gracefully following Nick's lead.

Lesley distanced herself from both of them, strolling out to the back and onto the patio. She reveled in the breathtaking views of the lake and its surroundings, with the forest masquerading as a panoramic backdrop; it felt surreal.

Lesley was a girl who grew up with an unstable mother and a father who disappeared long before her birth. Her mother dragged poor Lesley from one apartment to another.

Ultimately, Lesley despised her hectic and chaotic childhood, promising herself that she would ensure her stability with a decent place to call home when she got older. However, she never imagined she would one day be looking into a property that was way beyond what she ever imagined possible in childhood.

Gazing out at the lake, the waters gleamed with the sun's reflection, and the Blue Jays chirped in the nearby trees. Lesley fell in love, drawn in by the captivating allure of the property. There was no way she wasn't going to get the house - she knew it was hers, and she could feel it in her bones.

Her eyes glared at the rippling waters as a small wave protruded from the lake's surface. Lesley stepped toward the edge of the patio, where she witnessed the wave getting higher. Surprised, she quickly stepped back, but it was too late. The water splashed right in her face.

She shook her head and wiped the droplets off her face with her forearm.

Curiosity struck her—How did the waters manage to spray her in the face? It was reminiscent of an act that a seal or sea lion would perform.

Shrugging it off, she returned to the house where Nick and Jackie were both standing in front of the large brick fireplace in the contemporary-styled living room.

"Does this thing work?" Nick asked while inspecting the fireplace as if it could speak back to him.

"Yes, everything in this house works perfectly fine." Jackie stood in front of Nick, wishing he had made up his mind already.

Lesley turned away from the window and glanced at her husband with her light brown puppy dog eyes.

"I want it! It's perfect, Nick." She pleaded, clasping her hands together in sheer anticipation.

Lesley knew how to persuade him, and if she begged hard enough, Nick would budge sooner or later. But in this case, she'd rather it be sooner than later.