14|| Moving On

Lesley stepped out of the shower, and water droplets trickled down her body, the wet beads soaking into the gray bathmat beneath her feet. She snatched the towel off the hook and wrapped it around her body. As she finished drying herself off,  the towel slowly fell to the floor like a snake slithering down a tree. She then grabbed her pink robe and slipped her arms into each of the cozy sleeves. The soft cotton material caressed her skin, inviting and gentle.

The warmth of the hot shower had left her in a state of relaxation and tranquility. However, the frustration stemming from yesterday's meeting with Grant still lingered deep within her. And although she refused to let the case consume her, she knew something had to be done. So, she crafted a plan to navigate the mysterious case of Leah Meyers, but she would take it one step at a time.

She strolled into her bedroom causally and plopped down onto her cushy bed, sinking into its softness. Gazing over at her phone resting on the beige-toned nightstand, she grabbed it. It was still relatively early, around 7:15 AM. Denise would likely be awake, given that her yoga studio opened earlier that morning, at 6:30 AM.

Lesley scrolled her call log, searching for Denise's contact information. Once Denise's name popped up, she tapped the call button and brought the phone up to her ear.

It rang, the tone buzzing into Lesley's ear three times before it was answered.

"Hello?" Denise's calm and gentle voice answered.

"Hey, Denise. It's Lesley."

"Oh, hey, Lesley!" Denise responded warmly, her voice brimming with enthusiasm. "Are you heading over to the studio?"

Lesley shook her head, her impatience evident. "No, Denise. I was actually wondering if we could do lunch today?" she inquired, her anticipation growing. "That is, if you're available, of course."

Denise replied, "I have a few yoga classes to teach around that time, but I am free at 6:00 PM this evening for dinner. Does that work for you?"

Lesley breathed out a sigh of relief. She planned to utilize their dinner date to discreetly inquire about Denise's husband, Gary, the city councilman.

"Yes, 6:00 PM is perfect."

***

Lesley and Nick were relaxing outside on the patio in the backyard of their home. The afternoon sun rays shone brightly against the lake, casting a glossy imprint on the surface water- twinkling sparkles danced atop it. Lesley had her camera in hand as she stood near the edge of the patio, snapping photos of the lake and surrounding areas.

Nick sat in a wooden lounge chair, wearing his prescription glasses while he read. His eyes were glued to the pages of his favorite thriller author's latest release. He turned the pages of the book, captivated by its suspenseful narrative, he felt like an invisible character in the book.

"Nick, our backyard is even more gorgeous than I ever realized." A gentle smile etched onto her face as she became immersed in the beauty surrounding her.

Suddenly, a thought crossed Nick's mind, prompting him to pause his reading- he hadn't heard Lesley utter one word about the Leah Meyers case in the past few days. His eyes shifted, peering up at her. A smile played on her lips while she photographed the beautiful sparrows perched on the surrounding trees. Nick was really enjoying this new Lesley. Her serene nature was taking hold once again. It filled him with contentment. Nick felt as though he was regaining the Lesley he had dearly missed, making his heart swell with joy.

As the sun's intensity climbed, it was as if time was nudging Lesley, reminding her that it was getting closer to the evening.

Lowering the camera from her face to her side, Lesley wiped the sweat off her forehead with her hand. She walked over to Nick and settled into the lounge chair beside him.