26|| The Chase

Lesley leaned in closer to Todd, her chin just above the open window with her eyes fixed on him as he sat in his vehicle. Her breath gently brushed against the curve of his ear as she whispered, "Is this the Greg?" She breathed in a soft tone. "Leah's ex-boyfriend?"

Todd immediately shifted his head, locking his gaze on hers, as though he'd fallen into a trance under her spell. Her eyes, stern and inquisitive, probed within the depths of Todd's soul as if he had something to hide, she waited for an answer.

"Y-yes," Todd stammered, his words barely audible as he tried to prevent Greg from catching on. "But, as I told you earlier, he had no part in her death. If anything, he was a reliable and compliant source in trying to help us solve the case. He genuinely cared for Leah."

As if sensing the unspoken words that danced around him, Greg subtly shifted his head and cast an eerie gaze upon Lesley.

"Are you guys talking about Leah?" Greg's voice, heavy with concern, sliced through the moment of silence.

Lesley waved her hand gracefully. "I am." She began. "You see, I'm trying to get the truth behind Leah's tragic drowning."

Todd and Greg sat in unsettling silence as gusty winds propelled the leaves through the air like dust in a storm while the wind howled around them.

Curiosity wandered within her as a relentless urge nagged at her. Prompting her to inquire with Greg regarding his relationship with Leah.

"Do you know anything about the city councilman she was dating?" Lesley peered at Greg and he immediately turned her way. She inquired with hopes of obtaining the much-needed information she had been striving to uncover since she began her own investigation.

"That sicko deserves a lifetime behind bars!" Greg's reply came, tinged with aggression, his fists clenching and teeth gnashing in visceral anger.

Todd raised his hand, his gesture reminiscent of a construction worker, a symbolic stop sign suspended in the air. His eyes then swiveled back to Lesley.

"That's enough for today," he announced, the air around the three of them grew heavy as if each person were holding an unspeakable secret. "I'm awaiting the tow truck, and I'll be back in my office in an hour. Why don't you pay me a visit then?"

Greg stared straight ahead, his eyes fixed on the road. "Is this the pesky woman you told me about?"

Todd gulped, taking a deep breath. "Uh, no," he lied.

"Who's the woman playing amateur investigator, then?" Greg demanded, turning to Todd.

Lesley felt her ears burn as she caught Greg's words. Todd had apparently spilled the beans about her quest, a task she had initially been embarrassed about but was now unapologetic for. She was determined to uncover the truth behind Leah's drowning, regardless of the cost.

"Well, maybe I am the amateur investigator," Lesley admitted, shifting her weight from one foot to the other. "What do you know about the city councilman and his connection to Leah?"

Greg clenched his teeth, his anger evident. In a swift and alarming move, he reached into his pocket, brandishing a gleaming and razor-sharp switchblade.

Lesley's heart plummeted, and she could almost see her life flashing before her eyes.

Todd's eyes widened as they fixated on the switchblade. "Put that damn thing away!" he shouted. "Now!"

"Nope," Greg replied defiantly, leaning in toward Todd. In a haste and unforeseen act, with a swift, brutal motion, he plunged the blade into Todd's abdomen. Blood quickly welled up and stained Todd's collared shirt as it dripped down onto his khaki pants.

"Todd!" Lesley shouted, sorrow lacing her voice as she stood there in shock, her mind reeling from the sudden violence that was produced before her. Fear climbed through her body, in a rush she sprinted back to her car just as Greg exited Todd's vehicle and slammed the door shut. He chased her with the madness of a psychopath, holding the switchblade in the air. She reached her car just in time and jumped inside, her hands shaking as she locked the doors behind her. Soon, Greg's menacing face was smashed against her window as he pounded on the roof of her car. His face contorted in a sinister rage. "Let me in!" He screamed, his eyes dark and empty.

With trembling hands, Lesley frantically grabbed her phone and dialed 9-1-1.

Impatiently, she waited, checking her surroundings as Greg halted his pounding. Breathing hard and deep, she wondered where he had gone.

Then, to her dismay, she realized there was no dial tone at all.

"Damn it!" She hit her steering wheel out of frustration, "I don't have a signal!" The mountainous terrain offered no reception, leaving Lesley isolated and alone. In an instant, she remembered she was in her car, having almost forgotten due to the whirlwind of events that had just transpired, she was barely able to think straight.

In desperation, she fumbled for her car keys, hastily inserted the key into the ignition, and with a rev of the engine, her vehicle roared to life. Lesley slammed her foot on the accelerator, causing the car to jerk forward, and she sped away.

Glancing in her rearview mirror, she witnessed Greg jumping up and down in rage at her escape. The nightmarish image sent a shiver down her spine.

She kept going until her car came to a bumpy halt and then it dragged. Just then she heard a thumping sound indicating her car was on a flat. With shaky hands, she veered to the breakdown lane on the road. Hastily, she got out of her car and walked around it, inspecting her tires. The back passenger side tire was completely flat.

"Darn it!" She shouted in frustration. The area was unfamiliar territory but she knew town was close by. She quickly darted into the forest, hoping to remain inconspicuous. But she knew if Greg spotted her car out on the road, he would likely realize she was out in the forest somewhere. Fueled by the immense fear that ricocheted through her veins, she ran faster than she had ever run before. Grateful that she had decided to wear her tennis shoes that day instead of her usual boots or heels.

All at once, she came to the realization that Jackie's house wasn't too far away. It was a secluded mini-mansion on top of the hill. Nestled amongst tall trees and bushes, but with amazing views of Arcaden. Lesley recalled having dinner and drinks there with Nick when they were first introduced to Jackie by Nick's parents. To get there, Lesley deduced it to be a ten-minute run at best. She knew that was her only option if she wanted to stay alive, so she hastily made a beeline for it.

There, she would recount the horrifying ordeal to Jackie, and together, they'd urgently summon the police to assist Todd with the injury he sustained at the violent hands of his own nephew. After months of agonizing uncertainty, the Arcaden Police Department would finally apprehend Greg Todd for the murder of Leah Meyers.