9|| The Search

The Arcaden Police Department and its detectives conducted an extensive search for Leah Meyers, scouring the forest and combing through the lake, leaving no stone unturned. At the same time, Lesley stood anxiously in the middle of it all in her tattered clothing and untamed hair. She was determined to remain on standby, ready to assist detectives or officers with further questioning in the search for Leah.

Lesley watched intently as the officers scurried around the forest in their dark blue uniforms like a family of ants desperately searching for the last crumb of sugar they had lost. Several Arcaden Police canines assisted in the search, their black leashes securely held by the firm grips of their assigned officer. With their noses, the dogs diligently sniffed the forest floor, seeking out any trace of clues.

The officer's flashlights zigzagged streaks of light across the dark forest, transforming it into a mesmerizing light show.

The pinging of her phone disrupted Lesley's focus. She reached into the pocket of her jeans and pulled it out, but the pinging had stopped when her eyes peered down at it. Without further thought, Lesley knew who had called her.

Nick!

She placed her index finger on the screen and scrolled through her missed call log. There were a total of fifty-six missed calls from Nick. Lesley's heart sank in her chest like a stone sinking into the very depths of shallow waters. She knew Nick must have been frantic with worry. Her eyes still glued to the phone as she tapped on the voicemail icon, and the messages began to play. She then tapped on the speakerphone icon, letting the voicemails play out into the air.

"Lesley! Call me back immediately, please. It's 1:00 A.M., and you've never been out this late. I can't eat or sleep. I hope you're okay. Call me back, please. I love you, Les!"

Lesley's heart ached, and her already somber mood was magnified, filling her with guilt and a sense of grief for Nick's desperate plea.

She listened as more voicemails played.

"Lesley, where are you?! Please call me. I'm extremely worried!" Nick's voice streamed into her ear, panic and fear evident in his quavering voice.

Remorse flooded through Lesley, and she made up her mind. She'd explain everything to Nick as soon as they were in contact. Fortunately, she didn't have to wait long; the Arcaden Police Department had already contacted him, notifying him of Lesley's whereabouts.

Nick eventually made it down to the lake, reuniting with Lesley.

"Les!" He ran to her with outstretched arms and wrapped her in a warm hug.

Nick's voice quivered as he held her in his arms as if he hadn't seen her in years.

 "Is everything alright?" He stepped backward, placing a gentle hand on each of her shoulders. His glossy eyes reflected the whirlwind of emotions brewing inside him, mostly happiness at seeing Lesley standing before him.

Lesley lovingly gazed into Nick's eyes as guilt and remorse consumed her. She knew she shouldn't have ventured into the forest and the lake without initially informing Nick. As a result, the emotions that surged within her felt like a devastating punch to the gut. She forced a shaky smile and nodded, "Nick, I'm fine."

"I have a mug of hot tea in the car and a few Tylenol's." Nick offered while he draped the beige blanket over Lesley's shoulders and wrapped it snugly around her.

"Thank you, Nick!" Lesley's heart swelled with warmth, touched by the genuine kindness in Nick's actions.

The sky began transitioning from dusky blue to soft hues of morning light. Lesley raised her gaze, witnessing the sun's slow rise over the horizon. Its gentle rays infiltrated the lingering darkness, illuminating a rather gloomy night.