15|| The Photo

Lesley knew what her two pressing priorities were at that time- kickstarting her photography business and unveiling the truth behind Leah's tragic drowning. She was fully aware that she couldn't devote all her time to delving into the mysteries surrounding Leah's case. However, she was determined to unravel the lingering truth behind it.

As it stood now, Lesley was displeased with her initial investigation; it had yielded no results. She found herself at a standstill. With Officer Grant and Denise both devoid of answers, she realized that she would have to take matters into her own hands. 

Thoughts of Leah crossed her mind, and she pondered when the next visit from her might occur. Lesley held onto the hope that, during the next encounter, Leah would share more crucial details about the councilman, shedding light on the circumstances of her drowning or potential murder

Lesley planned to explain to Leah how important it was for her to obtain more pertinent information about the case. After all, it would aid her in uncovering the truth. She would also promise Leah that she was wholeheartedly committed to seeking justice on her behalf.

In the meantime, however, Lesley decided to seek solace in the Arcaden mountains, where the radiant sun cast its golden glow over the rugged terrain. Creating luminous picturesque views. With her camera in hand, she captured ten striking photos, each meticulously composed from a distinct angle, adding to the illustrious beauty of each.

***

After spending a few hours in the mountains, Lesley decided to drop in for a late afternoon yoga session at the studio that evening. And to her surprise, she found Jackie there with her fourteen-year-old daughter.

"Hi, Jackie!" Lesley's eyes widened, indicating her shock. "I'm surprised to see you here."

"My daughter, Alexis, pushed me to come," Jackie said matter-of-factly. "She thinks yoga will help calm and relax me."

"Well, I definitely agree with her," Lesley smiled.

"Have I introduced you to her?" Jackie inquired.

Lesley shook her head. "No, I haven't met her."

Jackie strolled across the wooden yoga floor in her bare feet. She tapped the shoulder of a girl a few inches taller than herself. The girl's short brown hair waved as she turned her head. Jackie said something inaudible to the girl, and her eyes peered up at Lesley as they walked toward her.

"This is my daughter, Alexis!" Jackie said proudly, puffing out her chest. "She's a freshman at Wilcott Academy, one of the best private schools in all of New York!"

Alexis smiled at Lesley, "Have you met my new sister, Maria, too?" 

"You have a new sister?" Lesley furrowed her brows, shaking her head, "No, I haven't met her." As far as she knew, Jackie and Charles only had one child, Alexis.

Jackie whispered into Alexis' ear, leaving Lesley standing there in an akward silence.

Jackie formed an uncomfortable smile on her face. "Maria is a foreign exchange student. We volunteered this year. Alexis thinks of her as a new sister. However, she won't be with us for long - just about three months."

Lesley smiled. "Where is she from?" She inquired.

"Mexico," Jackie stated with a stoic face.

Lesley shifted her gaze down to Alexis. "Well, it was so nice to meet you, young lady!" She said with a smile. 

Alexis didn't respond; instead, she stood there with a smile firmly glued to her face. 

Jackie cleared her throat. "Alright, I'm going to take Alexis back to the youth yoga session in that room over there," she said, pointing to the back of the studio. "I'll see you later." With a friendly wink, she reached for Alexis's hand and led her back to class.