32|| Dead End

Nick tossed and turned, the sheets and blankets sliding down the edge of the bed and onto the gray carpet. Sweat dripped from his pores and streamed down his face. He sprang up, letting out a scream that echoed throughout the room, jolting Lesley awake.

She rose in bed, her heart racing faster than a bullet train as she rushed to Nick's side.

"Nick, are you alright?" she inquired, laying her hand compassionately on his arm and rubbing it to soothe him.

"I saw Greg!" Nick's voice trembled as he awoke from the nightmare. His heart nearly beat out of his chest.

Lesley, alert and anxious, fixed her eyes on him. Nick glanced up, and the deep concern etched on her face tugged at his heart.

"Nick, Greg is in jail." Lesley's voice soothingly reassured him. "He's never coming back."

Nick's eyes darted wildly, his face contorted with fear. "And there was a woman. I could hear her voice. She was arguing with a man."

Lesley wondered if Nick's nightmare was just a flashback that had haunted his subconscious. Her eyes bore into Nick and she questioned him. 

"How did the woman look? What did her voice sound like?" A desperate hope flickered in her gaze as she tried to get him to extract any scrap of memory—a scent, a glimpse—anything that might shed light on those who assisted Greg in his sadistic journey.

"I don't remember." Nick's voice was laced with frustration as he distressingly rubbed his forehead. "I only remember a woman yelling at a man."

"Did it sound like anyone you know?" Lesley gazed into his eyes.

Nick nodded. "No."

At that moment, he felt helpless and consumed with guilt. He was supposed to be there for Lesley, taking care of her; instead, she was there taking care of him.

The room grew colder, and the echoes of Nick's words hung in the air like a ghostly omen. She consoled Nick, laying her head on his chest.

"Nick, things are going to get better." Lesley whispered. "I promise."

Denise peered out of the curtains that hung over her kitchen window. She spotted Lesley walking up the pathway to her front door, and a sense of calmness washed over her.

Lesley stood on the porch, ringing the doorbell. It chimed, and she waited patiently for Denise to answer.

All she could think about at that moment was Nick. Although he was contending with nightmares and flashbacks, she was optimistic that he'd make a full recovery soon.

Dr. Singh figured it would be an entire month before Nick would even get a fraction of his memory back. However, Lesley noticed his memories were slowly trickling in at a rapid pace- faster than initially anticipated.

Now, if only Nick could recall the dark time he was with Greg and provide Officer Grant with a description of the others, then they could potentially track down the suspects, paving the way to obtaining justice for both Nick and Leah.

Denise swung the door open. "Hi, Lesley." She opened the door wider, gesturing for her to come inside.

Lesley stepped into the house. Bright rays of sunlight streamed in through the slits in the blinds, creating an inviting atmosphere.

The sky-high ceilings in the living room furnished with tan-colored décor wrapped Lesley in a blanket of coziness. However, as soon as Denise's lips moved, Lesley was transported back into a state of chaos, dismay, and horror.

"Can you come with me to pay a visit to Gary's lawyer?" Denise kindly asked, her eyes dripping with sadness though no tears were present.

"Sure." Lesley responded.