13|| The Visit

Lesley made her way downstairs, where she found Nick sound asleep on the couch. The rumbling from his boisterous snoring blended with the sounds of the television as the speakers blared into the living room. She picked the remote control off the coffee table, turning off the television. With delicate footsteps, she strolled into the foyer and grabbed her purse from off the hook along with her car keys. It was late, but she couldn't wait another minute. She had to speak with Grant.

Lesley drove through the mountains and down the pitch-black roads of Arcaden. A wave of unease drifted over her, heightening her senses. Sweat began to seep through the palms of her hands as she firmly gripped the leathery steering wheel.

Focusing on the desolate, dimly lit road ahead, Lesley pondered the case.

The occasional gust of wind and the hum of the tires rolling against the asphalt were the only sounds she heard. She pressed the Bluetooth button on the dashboard, hoping to drown out the sounds. Her playlist of refreshing tunes suddenly filled her ears. Humming to the music, a serene sense of calmness swept over her. The weight of anxiety slowly lifted off her shoulders, making her feel at ease.

However, the feeling of relaxation quickly eluded her as her eyes landed on an inconspicuous, hazy figure in the middle of the empty road.

A sudden gasp escaped her lips. The sight before her plunged her into an unsettling state. There stood an eerie, ghostly silhouette of a girl.

Lesly looked closer, squinting her eyes to get a clearer view.

Is that a ghost?! Lesley wondered.

She gulped. The figure was draped in a white gown. It appeared to be a young girl, around sixteen or seventeen. Her long ebony hair cascaded down her back. She had big brown eyes that spoke of pure innocence.

Lesley gripped the steering wheel tighter, her fingers constricting around the leather. The faint sensation of suffocation engulfed her as her breath lodged in her throat. She coughed.

As she continued to look out at the road ahead, the ghostly figure was still there. It hadn't moved.

Is this just a figment of my imagination? Lesley thought. She batted her eyes and shook her head, hoping the figure would disappear. But the ghostly image remained. Its eyes locked into Lesley's, causing her heart to flip flop in her chest.

The car veered directly in its path, but Lesley's instincts kicked in; she slammed on her brakes, desperately attempting to halt her vehicle. The wheels screeched, and the car swerved violently to the side of the road, thrusting her forward. Her head hit the steering wheel with a decent amount of force.

Lesley trembled with fear. Her mind raced faster than a cat chasing a mouse. Fear gnawed at her, gripping her tightly like icy fingers. She couldn't shake the feeling that she had stumbled upon something beyond the realm of the living.

Possibly a dead Leah Meyers.

Shaken up, she sat in her car, contemplating the haunting encounter. With jittery hands, she unbuckled her seatbelt and opened the car door. She stepped out into eerie darkness. Slamming her car door shut behind her, the sound reverberated into the night. Surrounded by tall trees and bushes, she gazed at the road; it was empty, as usual for the secluded area.

"Lesley," a girl's voice called, shivering down Lesley's spine.

"Leah, is that you?" Lesley frantically scanned her surroundings, but the ghostly figure had vanished. The voice was distinct, transporting Lesley back to that dreadful night in the forest.

"Yes, Lesley, it's me, Leah," the voice replied.

Lesley instinctively placed her hand on her clavicle in shock. "Leah! I want to help you."