21|| The Revelation

It was mid-afternoon and Lesley still hadn't heard from Nick, which deeply concerned her. Just as she was about to pick up her phone and call him, her phone chimed.

"Hello?" Lesley answered, her phone propped up between her chin and shoulder as she poured herself a glass of water.

"How dare you!" Jackie yelled into the phone, her high-pitched voice careening into Lesley's ear, causing Lesley to pull the phone back a few inches away from her.

"Excuse me?" Lesley replied.

She yelled once more. "You've betrayed me and this entire community!"

"What?!" Lesley asked, confused. She placed her hand on her forehead trying to figure out what this was all about. "Jackie, what are you talking about?"

"Lesley, how dare you pose as a journalist! Exploiting Mrs. Meyers and Darlene for your purely selfish reasons is beyond disgusting!"

Lesley's jaw dropped, and her eyes widened. "Jackie, excuse me!" Lesley stated defensively. "That wasn't purely motivated to satisfy any of my own needs. I'm trying to get justice for Leah by searching for her real killer."

Jackie huffed into the phone. "When will you go back to minding your business? This can't be healthy for you, Lesley. Especially being that you've been dealing with mental health issues as of late."

"Darlene offered me some insight into Leah's life just prior to her death." Lesley began. "She told me about a guy named Greg."

"She's right!" Jackie yelled. "It's not a city councilman, as everyone has been touting. It's actually the nephew of an Arcaden Police Officer, but everyone is too chicken shit to admit it!"

"What?!" Lesley asked shocked.

"Yes, that's right. The nephew of one of the officers." She let out an exasperated breath. "He dated Leah a year prior to her drowning. He couldn't stand the fact that Leah moved on. If you want to investigate someone, investigate Greg Todd! Officer Todd's nephew!" Jackie yelled into the phone then she hung up with a loud click.

Overcome with emotions, Lesley didn't know what to think. She rested her elbows on the kitchen table and buried her face in her hands. Somehow Jackie discovered that Lesley posed as a journalist to interview Katherine Meyers and Darlene. Lesley knew the whole town wouldn't forgive her for that. But that was the least of her worries at the time.

With this new revelation Jackie bestowed upon her, she didn't know what to think. That was the first she'd ever heard about Greg Todd. There was never any mention of Leah dating him. Not from Officer Todd himself, and not even from Leah's own mother, Katherine.

Lesley was in desperate need of someone to confide in, so she decided to call her good friend Denise.

"Denise, I could really use a drink," Lesley said over the phone.

"I wouldn't mind a nice glass of wine or champagne myself." Denise hinted.

"Come on over!" Lesley insisted. "We have a lovely bottle of champagne tucked away in our bar."

"You don't have to tell me twice!" Denise laughed. "I'll be there in twenty."

Lesley hung up the phone and headed out to the bar area at the back of their house, which was conveniently accessible from the patio as well. Kneeling down, she opened the lower-level cabinet and retrieved a bottle of one of her favorite champagnes, Mumm Napa Brut.

Lesley grabbed two champagne glasses and carefully set them atop the bar. With a deft twist, she popped the top off the bottle and began pouring the effervescent liquid into each glass, marveling as it bubbled up to the brim. She couldn't resist sneaking a refreshing sip, relishing the delightful sensation as it danced on her taste buds.

Not before long, Lesley heard the chime of her doorbell. She hastily strolled to the front to answer it. Peeping out of the peephole, there stood Denise, wearing her usual yoga attire- a tight blue tank top and black yoga pants. Lesley slid open the top lock and twisted the bottom lock, opening up the door.

"Hey, girl!" Denise smiled brightly.

"Hey, love!" Lesley's smile mimicked Denise's. "I can't wait for you to see my lovely patio. It overlooks the lake!" she said enthusiastically.

Lesley guided Denise through the hallway and into the house. Upon entering the living room and kitchen combo, Lesley gracefully approached the sliding glass door. With a fluid motion, she pushed it open, leaving Denise utterly speechless. Her mouth hung agape, and she stood there in sheer awe. They both stepped onto the patio. Denise ventured further out, making her way to the edge, she reached out and clutched the railing tightly with her hands, savoring the picturesque views before her.

"Oh my gosh, Lesley!" Denise's gaze fixated on the lake and the lush greenery of the forest that was situated on the opposite side of the lake. "It's so beautiful! The views are absolutely amazing!" Denise was utterly captivated.

"Thank you!" Lesley gushed. "Once I saw this house, I knew I had to have it!"

Lesley and Denise both pulled out a chair at the patio table and sat down. Lesley had set their glasses of champagne on the table earlier. The bubbles were still dancing around in the glass.

Lesley picked up her glass of champagne, and suddenly the earlier incident with Jackie torpedoed right back into her mind like a strike of lightning on a stormy day. Her expression immediately changed. Her once brightly lit eyes, ceased into a dark gloom and her mouth shifted into a slight frown. Denise couldn't help but notice the sudden change in Lesley's demeanor.

"Lesley, is everything alright?" She asked with concern. "You look sad. Is something bothering you?"

Lesley initially hesitated, not wanting to burden Denise with her troubles, but she decided to share at least a part of what happened earlier in the day with Jackie.

"Well, today Jackie called me and she was furious." Lesley explained her gaze fixed on Denise's chocolate brown eyes. "She was upset because I pretended to be a journalist to get more information about the Leah Meyers case."

"Wait." Denise interrupted, raising her hand. "Who did you pretend to be a journalist with?"

Lesley knew she'd have to come clean, even though she dreaded admitting it. She was afraid others might see her actions as unethical and insensitive, considering she had deceived a grieving mother.

"Well, I posed as a journalist to interview Katherine Meyers." Lesley replied with a sigh."But it's only because I know I'm close to pinning down the real killer."

Denise's eyes widened and she was shocked by Lesley's behavior- to pose as a journalist to manipulate Leah's mother into divulging information about her dead daughter didn't sit well with Denise. However, Denise knew that Lesley was struggling with her mental health, so she gave her the benefit of the doubt. She wanted to believe Lesley about her plans to catch the real killer, but Denise had little hope that Lesley would be able to capture the culprit for Leah Meyer's death.

Lesley continued to explain her actions, her voice measured. "So far, my posing as a journalist has given me some insight into Leah's life." She gazed intently into Denises'e eyes."It may not be a city councilman after all. Another person could be responsible for her death."

"What do you mean?" Denise questioned, her gaze fixated on Lesley.

Lesley cleared her throat. "I discovered details about Leah Meyers' ex-boyfriend, who dated her a year prior to her death. It seems he's now under a lot of scrutiny, and the city councilman was just a diversion." She raised her glass to her lips and took a delicate sip.

Denise leaned in, her interest piqued. "What's the name of this guy?" she asked.

"He's the nephew of an Arcaden City Police Officer, Officer Todd." Lesley revealed. "His nephew's name is Greg Todd."

Denise's eyes widened, and she placed her hand on her clavicle in shock. "Are you serious, Lesley?" 

Lesley nodded. 

Denise added. "Officer Todd is a good friend of ours. Gary and Todd have known one another since high school. I just can't believe his nephew would be capable of committing such a heinous act."

Lesley replied, bringing her glass up to her lips before taking a sip. "Well, that's yet to be determined."