11|| The Birthday Surprise

Nick sat at the breakfast table, shooting off text messages to Denise, ensuring that Lesley's surprise birthday setup was going as planned.

Nick: Hey Denise! Were you able to pick up Lesley's birthday cake?

Denise: Hey, Nick. Yes, I got the vanilla cream cake filled with strawberries. Yum :)

Nick: Awesome! We'll see you tonight at The Thai Room for dinner.

Denise: Be there or Be square ;-)

Earlier in the week, Nick had inquired with Lesley about her weekend plans, ensuring she was available for an intimate dinner on Saturday evening. Informing her of his intentions to celebrate her birthday romantically with just the two of them, concealing the fact that he had invited three of her closest friends along with their realtor, Jackie, and her husband, Charles.

Things had been calm over the last several days, causing curiosity to creep within Nick. He wondered if Lesley was hiding something from him as she didn't mention anything about Leah Meyers, which Nick found unusual. He didn't know if he should be worried or not.

Lesley strolled downstairs with the strap of her camera hanging from her shoulder. She had decided against discussing Leah Meyers with Nick from that day forward. She knew she had to grapple with her demons and cope with the haunting memories that were held within her. While she appreciated Nick's concern, she felt it was something she had to face on her terms, especially since Nick was ready to deem hers as psychotic, or so she thought.

"I'm going out to take some practice photos, Nick." Lesley began, "I need to prep before I get my photography business back up and running." she explained while opening up the fridge, and retrieving a cold water bottle. Twisting off the cap, she took a swig. The refreshing coldness trailing down her throat.

A sense of shock wavered through Nick's body. He didn't think Lesley was mentally or emotionally prepared to start her photography business back up after all she had been through.

However, he secretly felt a sense of relief and happiness that Lesley was seemingly returning to her old self. But he found himself grappling with conflicting emotions and didn't know whether he should feel guilty about his feelings.

Regardless, he would support Lesley in reopening her photography business. After all, it was essential to her healing process.

Maybe this is a step in the right direction. Nick thought.

As Nick pondered on Lesley's photography exhibition, a knock at their front door startled him.

Who could that be? He thought.

"I'll answer it!" Lesley called out as she made her way from the kitchen to the entryway of their home. Placing her eyes into the peephole, she gazed out of the front door. Standing on the porch was Jackie.

Lesley quickly unlocked the door, opening it up. A swift breeze ventured through, stroking Lesley's face.

"Hi, Jackie!" she smiled, "Come on inside." Lesley stepped back, gesturing for Jackie to step into their home.

"Hi, Lesley. I didn't mean to bother you." Jackie smiled, revealing her pristine white teeth, "I just wanted to check in on you and see how you're doing?"

Jackie shifted her weight from one leg to the other.

"I'm doing a lot better," Lesley fibbed, forcing a small smile. "Taking it one day at a time, though."

"I'm glad to hear!" Jackie threw her arms around Lesley, wrapping her in a warm embrace, "I was so concerned about you." Jackie's face softened, her eyes filled with compassion.