The Helping Hand

CHAPTER 14

It's large bulbous eyes stared at you through the gaps of your curtain. You were frozen, you couldn't even breathe. It made a sign similar to croaking as it turned its body, it's eight limbs clinging to the chimney of the house opposite like a spider. Even with its counterclockwise turn its eyes, which stood on the top of its toadlike body kepts it slimy gaze on your everymove.

Slowly, you raised your body off of the sofa, feeling idly for anything that you could defend yourself with. Never moving your eyes from the beast.

It stared at you, and you could feel it. Its hunger.

It wanted to kill you.

Your hands searched. Clutching for anything that could save you. Desperately. Anything that could save you. But nothing.

The monster grew still, you could tell. It was any second before it would pounce, saliva gripped from its maw: a slit crawling from the belly through mounds of pus-filled sores on its skin, though the middle of its eyes. The thick wet saliva dripping down the leg that propped its fat figure on the chimney, which, even under the pressure of the weight of the creature, stood ever so strong.

The time ticked by and finally your fingers clutch at somethign hard.

A hope!

You ripped the instrument forward only to freeze.

It was a lamp.

Fuck.

Your hand was still strained behind you as the light from the lamp spread through the room. It was still plugged in.

In a swift pull you yank it once more, and this time the plug springs free into your hands. Plunging the room into darkness.

You blinked, your eyes trying to readjust to the light. The fleeting movement instinctual. But at that moment, your one way of sensing the danger was cut off, you knew you had messed up.

Your feet moved before your brain, hurling your body over the couch.

CRASH!

Glass shattered as the monster jumped in through your window. Your heart leaped into your throat as you hugged the lamp close to your body, gingerly backing away from the creature, that slowly rose to its feet, a sick sound leaving its body through the separation on its stomach.

"H...elp... me.."

Help me.

Slowly, you backed under the coffee table the glass providing no cover from the monster, except that its glare against the moonlight confused the vision of the monster as it had bounded it. Its eyes moved on the top of its head, a sick wet sound as it began to move.

"He....lp ... me.."

"...Some.... on..e..."

"H...elp... me... pl...ease.."

Its strange voice takes on the chorus of many, first the sound of a girl, then the sound of a woman, then finally like a chorus of men. Each pleading for their life.

Your heart shuddered within your body as you watched in complete silence. The echo of your heart

Boom.

Boom.

Boom.

You couldn't stay under the table, it would see you as soon as its angle changed. You wiggled every move of yours sending waves, shimming backward, holding the fragile lamp. Your only ray of hope firm in your right hand.