Chapter 5

ANNA'S POV:

I had convinced myself that I wasn't going to be attending Gia and Jared's party, but, after receiving Jared's texts, my mind filled with thoughts of him. I realised how much I missed him, despite the fact that we didn't know each other well.

I wanted to see him again, and I didn't want to disappoint him by not showing up.

Maybe a party would actually be fun. It could be a good distraction from everything.

I wondered if it was unprofessional to be socialising with my students' caregivers in such a way, but I was hoping nobody would find out. What I did in my personal life was none of their concern, and I was certain that Gia or Jared wouldn't say anything to anyone about it.

Luckily, it wasn't raining, so I had been able to walk to the address Jared sent me without my hair and outfit getting ruined.

I was unsure what attire to go for, but I settled on a cropped brown top and cargos, not wanting to appear over dressed and too eager. I couldn't help but wonder if Jared would be impressed with the way I looked, and I scolded myself for thinking so.

We had had some good conversations, but I was getting ahead of myself. He was very good looking, and I wouldn't be surprised to find out he had multiple women on the go, despite the fact he mentioned he was single.

I had stopped off at the store on the way, grabbing a few bags of chips so I didn't arrive empty handed. I didn't want people to think I was rude, and every party needed chips. People got hungry when they were drunk.

Breathing heavily, I stared up at the large house in front of me, my eyes widening at the sheer size of it. It was massive and very modern looking, taking me off guard.

Was this Jared's house? It put my tiny little broken apartment to shame, and I made a mental note to try and not act too surprised when I stepped inside. I didn't want to make anyone uncomfortable with my shock.

They were all in the same circle, so probably all had lovely houses like this.

Puffing my chest out, I walked through the open gate, making my way up the ramp and ringing the door bell, chewing on my bottom lip with anxiety.

I was sure I was most likely the last one to arrive, giving myself a couple of hours to wash my hair and do my makeup.

My shower only spewed out cold water though, so it took me longer than anticipated to melt away the shampoo from my curls, deciding to let my scalp breath, going with a half up and half down hair style once it had dried.

A musky scent filled my nostrils, and I instantly recognised it as Jared's cologne. He seemed to always wear it, the smell following him around like thick mist, leaving a trail wherever he went. I loved it, and I wanted to ask which one he wore.

I imagined it was an expensive one to have that much longevity and projection.

I smiled as the door was pulled open, and a tall handsome brunette man stood in front of me, cocking his brow at me, looking a little confused.

Did I have the wrong house?

"Um, hi," I stuttered, gulping. "Is this where the party is?"

"Yeah, are you a friend of Clara?" He spoke, and I shook my head, furrowing my brows.

"Jared and Gia invited me," I responded, clutching the bags of my chips closer to my chest, my heart hammering against my ribcage so hard I was worried the man in front of me could hear it.

"Oh, well come on in," He said, stepping aside as I stepped into the house, nodding at him as a quick 'thank you'.

"I'm Ethan," he introduced himself, holding his hand out for me to shake, and I took it tentatively.