Chapter 33

ANNA'S POV

I clutched onto my Mother as she cupped my cheeks, silent tears streaming down her face. Her eyes were heavily bloodshot, and her skin was pale and ghost-like, making my wonder how long she had been held captive for.

"What have they done to you?" I whispered to her, shaking my head and sniffling. I wanted to be strong for my Mother, but I couldn't help to allow a few tears to leak from my eyes.

We had been sitting like this for about ten minutes, Amelia and my Father having been in a heated discussion for most of it. It seemed that they couldn't agree on what to do with us, and Amelia made some pretty serious threats.

I knew that she could easily rip my Father's spleen out if she felt the urge to, so it was in his best interest to agree with her and do what she said.

"How long have you been here?" I whispered to my Mother, and she sighed, offering me a small smile.

"Only a day sweetheart, don't worry," she tried to reassure me, but, it wasn't working. Her smile didn't reach her eyes, and I could easily see how exhausted and broken she was. She looked like she had been here for more than just a day.

I turned my attention to Amelia who was leaning up against the wall opposite us. She had her arms crossed over her chest, and was focusing on the floor underneath her, appearing to be in deep thought.

"Will they be able to follow your scent here?" My Mother questioned me, and Amelia blew out a gust of air from her nose, laughing. She began to make her way towards us, her heeled boots clacking against the hardwood flooring.

"She was transported here by car," Amelia stated. "So, no. They won't be able to track her by scent." Amelia smiled- a sick and sadistic smile, anger beginning to bubble up inside of my stomach.

"Why are you doing this?" I asked her, my voice bitter. "Jared told me about what you did. You're the one that left, so why come back and try and claim him when-"

I had obviously hit a nerve, and Amelia grabbed me by the hair, hoisting me up towards her. She snarled harshly in my face, a hiss releasing from my mouth from the pain on my scalp.

"Don't touch her," begged my Mother, but, Amelia ignored her, pulling me to the other side of the room. She bent down in front of me, throwing me to the ground.

"Listen you little bitch, I don't want to hear what you think about mine and Jared's situation. Mates are supposed to be together, even if it takes years for them to do so. They find each other eventually. You're just a little back up option."

Her words stung, and I felt a pang in my heart, but I had to remind myself of how unstable Amelia actually was. She still believed that her and Jared were destined to be together despite what had happened.

"Is that why Jared broke your bond?" I jeered, not knowing what had come over me. I was protective over my mate, and I was going to stamp my claim on him. Hearing Amelia believe that she was entitled to his love made me sick to the stomach. No one else was going to have him.

Amelia growled, stalking forwards and slapping me across the face, my cheek burning from the impact. "I don't need some human jutting her nose into my business. You and Jared won't last. I'll make sure of that."

I scrambled away from Amelia, making my way back to my Mother, her face a mask of shock. She hooked her finger under my chin and turned my head to the side to take a look at my cheek.

I pulled away from her though, waving away her concern. I didn't need her worrying. It was just a slap, and I wouldn't have any lasting damage- not physically anyway.