Chapter 17

JARED'S POV

Hearing Anna tell me about her Father infuriated me, and I had to stop myself from freaking out and demanding his name. I knew that wouldn't help though. I didn't want Anna to see me like that. I had to keep my cool.

She was clutching her bag to her side as she sighed, and I pushed myself along next to her as I waited for her to speak. I didn't want to push her, instead, wanting to wait until she was ready to tell me. I wanted her to feel like she was in a safe environment where she could express her feelings and wouldn't be forced into anything.

"My Dad has a problem with drinking," Anna started, and I remained quiet, letting her take a deep breath. "He was never a nice person before he turned to alcohol, but it's just accentuated his abusive tendencies."

Hearing the word 'abusive' caused me to cringe, and I gulped as I focused on how my hands felt against my wheels, counting to ten to calm myself. I needed to remain composed for Anna.

"He would come home drunk and beat myself and my Mother sometimes. He would usually go for her, but I would occasionally get caught up in it when he was in a really bad mood." Anna's voice was monotone, as if she has somehow turned off all emotion when it came to the situation. I didn't blame her though. It seemed like a coping mechanism that worked relatively well for her.

"So you left?" I gently pressed after Anna stayed quiet for a minute, and she nodded, biting down on her lip. My heart was beating rapidly against my ribs after hearing that Anna's Father used to harm her, and I had to stop myself from growling loudly in anger.

"Yes, my Mother did too, and he's turned to tracking us down and attempting to try and find us. My Mother wanted me to go alone though. She knew that she would get most of the blame if he did catch us, and she didn't want me caught up in it."

I could tell that Anna felt incredibly guilty about leaving her Mother to fend for herself, but I appreciated the decision that her Mother had made. She wanted to protect her child, as any Mother should do. It was something I didn't have.

"How long has he been calling you?" I asked as we turned down towards 'my' house, rummaging around in my pocket to find my key.

Anna shrugged. "I have to change my number often, but he calls whenever he finds out what it is. I don't know how he does it though."

I nodded in understanding as we approached the house, and I pushed the key into the lock and twisted it, gesturing for Anna to enter first. She thanked me, dropping her bag down in the corner, taking her phone out of her pocket and staring at the screen.

"What is it? Has he called again?"

"No," Anna immediately responded, sighing and shoving it back into her pocket. "But I keep finding myself just waiting for his calls. I keep checking to see if he's left a voicemail telling me he knows where I am. If he does find out, I'll have to leave."

I cocked my head at Anna's words. There was no way I was going to allow her to be pushed to keep moving around the country to try and escape her abusive Father. I had just found her and been given a second chance. I couldn't lose her now. She already meant so much.

"No, that's not happening," I said quickly, my voice holding frustration.

"It's the only option if he finds me, Jared," Anna said, fiddling with her fingers, inspecting her cuticles and frowning at how mangled they looked. I guessed she had been picking at them.

It wasn't the only option though, but, I couldn't tell Anna that, so I decided to remain quiet, wheeling myself into the kitchen. Anna followed me, settling down into a chair at the dining table, looking awkward.