Chapter 44

JARED'S POV

It had been five days since Anna had returned to us and her Mother had left. I still couldn't fathom how incredibly lucky we had been to find her and her Mother alive and mostly well. I was terrified. Amelia could have done so much worse and I was thankful that she didn't have any lasting damage from the ordeal.

However, I had been talking with Doctor Oliver about getting Anna some therapy. I had mentioned the topic to her, and she hadn't dismissed it much like I had expected her to. It was a good idea for Anna to talk about what had happened to her in order to help herself heal. It was something that I should have done long ago, but never did, and I regretted it.

Speaking about my trauma would have helped me in so many ways. I didn't want Anna to end up like me.

I was trying to better myself though. I had confirmed the surgery with Doctor Oliver, and it was scheduled for a few days time. I was nervous, but excited. This was a step in the right direction- no pun intended.

Anna beamed to herself as she read over her notes that had been given to her by the school I had contacted for her about a job. It was only a ten minute drive from us, and was strictly werewolves only.

Anna needed to work at a place that understood about mates and wouldn't judge her for having one. They had been looking for an assistant teacher, and although it wasn't a full time job, Anna was over the moon when she was offered it.

She had expressed to me how, although she wanted a job, working everyday was a little too much for her to handle. The assistant teaching job was perfect for her- it being only three days a week.

She had been accepted with open arms, especially since Dylan had put in a good word for her. Clara had even insisted that she would move Sophia there, not liking the way that the old school handled Anna's situation.

"Is it overwhelming?" I questioned Anna as she flicked through another page of work. She was reading a briefing on what the school expected from her, having been reading thoroughly for a good hour.

Anna shook her head, thanking me as she took the cup of hot chocolate from my hand. "No, it's actually really interesting. I love hearing about how they run the school and teach the wolves. They have a lesson on mates and werewolf history, and I'm excited for it. I'll be learning a lot on the job."

I beamed. Watching how happy she was made me giddy. "Did they say when they want you to start?"

I had specifically told the school that Anna had just been through a traumatic ordeal, and they had been more than understanding and let me know that they would wait as long as Anna needed before asking her to come in. I hadn't told my mate though- not wanting her to think she was receiving special treatment.

She had earned this job herself. Although Dylan had put in a good word for her, Anna had experience with her other school and was excellent in her interview. They were beyond happy to offer her the position, and they loved the fact that she was human. It intrigued them, and they wanted the young wolves to have experience with humans so they could understand that they weren't much different to them.

"Um, they've kind of left it up to me which is surprising," Anna muttered, taking a sip of her hot chocolate. "I'm going to email them tomorrow to let them know a start date, but I just need to work out when it'll be."

I sighed. I liked the idea of Anna getting therapy before starting work, even if it was just one session.

"Anna," I said. "I was thinking somebody could come round to speak to you about what happened to you tomorrow? I know we've already spoken about you having therapy, so I just wanted to check it was something that you were still comfortable with?"