Chapter 8

ANNA'S POV

It was Monday, and I was sitting at the teacher's desk in my classroom, all of the children having already filed out for the day, however, there was still one child remaining.

Sophia.

She waited in the classroom with me, and I sighed, glancing at the wall clock again for what felt like the hundredth time in a minute.

I watched as Sophia skipped through her book, mumbling to herself about the pretty colours and artistic characters, my mind filling with thoughts of Jared.

I couldn't help it, but whenever I had a free minute, he popped into my mind, consuming all of my thoughts.

We had been texting back and forth since the party, but, I had been keeping my replies short and within a reasonable time difference of one another. I didn't want to come across as weird or clingy.

I liked Jared. He was sweet and kind, and made me laugh. It also helped that he was insanely attractive, but, I didn't know if he felt the same towards me. I didn't want to end up getting played.

I also knew that it would hurt me if I got too close with Jared and then had to move away because of my Father finding me, so I kept that in mind whenever texting him, sometimes acting a little distant.

However, Jared always steered the conversation somewhere interesting, and I couldn't help but laugh at the screen at his replies, even though it may have appeared I wasn't putting in much effort.

"Do you not know who is picking you up today, Sophia?" I asked her, and she looked up from her book and scrunched her nose up at me, shaking her head.

Usually it was Jared and Gia, but the other teachers had told me that Clara or Dylan would pick Sophia up most of the time, and I frowned at the thought.

I was really looking forward to seeing Jared.

"Anna," spoke a voice from outside the classroom door, and I hopped out of my chair, rounding the corner to see the receptionist standing in the doorway. "We've managed to get through to Dylan and he said that Clara is on her way. She's just running a little late. He apologises for the hold up."

I visibly sagged in disappointment, before nodding and hoisting my shoulders up, plastering a smile onto my face. "Thank you, Jill."

"Is my Mommy coming?" asked Sophia, and I nodded, pulling out one of the small kiddie chairs next to her, seating myself on it, grimacing at how uncomfortable it was.

"What are you reading?" I asked, peering down at the book, causing Sophia to quickly shut it and giggle.

"It's a secret book!" she cackled, pushing it away from my gaze, and I shrugged, laughing.

"Okay, I won't look then," I reassured her, shaking my head with a smile on my face. "Come on, let's get you down to reception so I can finish cleaning up here."

"No! I want to stay with you," pouted Sophia, folding her arms across her chest, her pigtails springing up and down as she bobbed her head. "I can help you clean up! I'm really good at it."

I tapped my chin, humming and pretending to think. "Are you sure you're up for the challenge? It takes a whole lot of skill to clean this place up."

"I'm ready!"

Hopping out of our chairs, laughing to ourselves, I instructed Sophia to begin picking up any pieces of paper from the floor. We had been cutting out dinosaurs today, so the floor was covered in paper shredding.

I began collecting all of the pencils and pens from the tables, sorting them and putting them back in their assigned position.

"I think my Uncle loves you," Sophia suddenly chimed, and I stood motionless, the coloured pencils falling from my hands and clattering to the floor, making a mess.