Chapter 21

JARED'S POV

People spoke amongst themselves as I ripped open the envelope to have a quick read of what the letter was about. We didn't receive mail very often, but when we did, it was usually to do with produce we had ordered for the pack or news from other packs. They wouldn't usually be addressed to me though.

I narrowed my eyes as I scanned the page, Gia engaging in a conversation with my mate, the both of them chatting about how they hadn't seen each other in a little while.

A few splatters of ink coated the paper, and I stared at it, a frown masking my face.

Jared,

What do you really think wolves and humans have in common?

Let me tell you, they shouldn't mix. It's a recipe for disaster and someone will just get hurt.

You might as well let your precious Anna down easy and cut it off now.

Things are going to get messy otherwise.

She isn't your true mate.

She's second best.

I've been watching you Jared. I have thought of you everyday for the past four years. Dylan and Clara denied my request to speak with you a year ago.

They want to keep us apart.

Trust me when I say this won't end well for the human.

I'll see you soon enough,

Amelia.

My heart hammered against my ribs as I read over the letter again and again, everyone in the room looking at me with concerned faces once they noticed how my body was reacting.

"What is it?" Anna asked me, looking slightly worried, and I crumpled up the piece of paper in my hand, squeezing my fingers together tightly.

"It's a letter about our recent order of workout equipment, Dylan," I said confidently, turning to my Alpha to see him cock his head at me, looking confused. "Apparently it's going to be delayed by two weeks."

Dylan hummed once I widened my eyes at him, moving closer to the couch.

"Dylan and I have to sort this out," I said quickly, gulping as I faced Anna. "Gia, why don't you show Anna our campfire spot? Or the lake?"

Gia hovered by the counter, shoving her phone into her back pocket hesitantly and analysing the situation. She eventually nodded, plastering a fake smile onto her face and taking Anna by the hand.

"We don't want to bore you with this kind of stuff," Gia laughed. "Come on, I'll show you around."

"She better not have a hair out of place when you get back though Gia!" I called after them, Anna releasing a small huff as she exited.

I knew she was comfortable around Gia. They got on well, and Gia wouldn't be an idiot. She would keep Anna safe for me.

"Show me the letter," Dylan said curiously, taking it from my outstretched hand, reading over it quickly. He muttered every word to himself, Clara getting up to do the same from over his shoulder, her face full of shock.

I felt guilty making Anna think that the letter was something casual and just mildly annoying, but I didn't want to frighten her. Amelia was threatening her, and she had only just found out about the existence of werewolves. I didn't want to freak her out anymore. She already had her Father to worry about.