Chapter 10

JARED'S POV

"Doctor Oliver, I've really got to go, but I'll be back for the operation, okay? I can even come and speak to you tomorrow if there's anything you want to quickly run through with me," I told him, panicking slightly, exiting his office.

I immediately began to call Anna, wanting to get a response from her quicker and ensure she was okay. She was frightening me, and it was scary not knowing the severity of the predicament she was in.

I folded one of my arms over myself as I waited for her to answer, tapping my fingers against the arm rest of my wheelchair, the padding noise filling the deafening silence.

"Come on, Anna," I muttered, grinding my teeth, frustrated, but the ringing suddenly stopped, and I heard shuffling from the other end.

"Jared?" Anna spoke quietly, and I heard her sniffle, indicating that she was or had been crying.

My heart physically hurt at the sound.

"Anna, what is it? What's wrong?"

"Um, it's hard to explain, I'm sorry," Anna told me, sniffling again. "Are you able to meet in person? I just need some advice. If not it's okay. I know it's out of the blue."

"Yes, I can meet you. Are you at home?" I questioned, tilting my head so I could hold my phone between my shoulder and ear, wheeling my chair in the direction of the black iron gates.

I would've preferred to leave with a coat, since the weather had been rather unpredictable lately, but, I didn't want to waste time.

Anna needed me, and I didn't care if I was a little cold. It meant I would get to her quicker.

"I mean, yes but we can just meet-"

"I'll be there soon, Stay there," I told her, hanging up and shoving my phone back into my pocket, pushing my chair faster down the path, avoiding a few pits in the gravel.

I couldn't even count the amount of times I had got a wheel stuck in them.

That was definitely something I would need to bring up to Dylan. Hopefully we could get them filled.

Not that it would matter in a few days, because I would be walking.

Hopefully.

Nodding at one of the guards posted by the gate, I passed through it, pulling out my phone and checking the time.

Would it be quicker to call a cab?

The journey would probably take about twenty minutes by wheelchair.

I decided to wheel myself along the sidewalk while fiddling on my phone, checking when the next cab would be, but the app wasn't working, and I cursed to myself and put my phone away.

No cab.

Luckily, it was easier for me since I was going downhill, gravity on my side and allowing me to race down the street, narrowly avoiding hitting a few people who glared at me with narrow eyes.

I was out of breath, but I managed to reach the school, knowing the walk wasn't too far from it, and I swallowed, my mouth dry from the amount of oxygen I had been breathing in.

My mind was working overdrive as I began to wonder what situation Anna could possible be in? I was concerned that it was something to do with her job. Maybe she wasn't enjoying it anymore and had decided to search for a new one and move away?

I would have to tell her we were mates if she wanted to do that. She deserved to know why she was feeling the way she was before going. However, the decision was still going to be completely hers.