8. Capture

Don't forget to vote and comment! 

******************************

On Vendors' Street, on the frontier of an infamous inn, two people were involved in an argument. The 'Dragon's Lair' Inn was a renowned eatery in Vendors' Street for its excellent reception, service, and exquisite delicacies, reserved only for distinguished guests of noble bearing. Money was of no importance to Dragon's Lair as much as its reputation among the elites of society. And this said, the front yard of Dragon's Lair was now crowded by a group of people who had come to witness the battle of the mouths going on.

"Like I said, this inn is only reserved for the nobles." One person involved in the argument was the head servant of the Dragon's Lair: "I do not know whether you don't understand Kanglun, but listen. We don't even allow merchants to walk into our inn." The bare minimum rank you should have is that of a minor lord of a county". The servant seemed exasperated with this troublesome guest—if somebody could call him that.

"And I'm telling you, I am a prince!" The other person arguing emphasized, whispering in the servant's ear "I can't tell you the details because I'm in a bit of a pickle.".

The servant took one look at him and almost scoffed. He didn't look like a prince, no matter how one perceived him. Wrapped in a dirty rug that hid nothing but his undergarments and inner wear, even those of which were dirty, and with a face that was caked in sweat and dust, he looked no different from a beggar. It was Fu Lin.

The Servant almost felt sorry for him. He keeps repeating the same thing. Perhaps he was a madman.

Listen, nobody would believe you if you declared yourself a prince in that state." The servant gestured to his attire. "And either way, I don't believe you. I suggest you go get yourself checked with the physicians and leave me alone".

"I really am a prince, though," he said, looking at the man, feeling indignant and haughty. He couldn't believe he was getting treated like this—to get entry into an inn that was not even of the royal class, he had to grovel on his hands. "I have the money to prove it, look!"

The servant glanced at the heavy bag of gold for the umpteenth time and said, "Money is not the problem, you fool! We do. Not. Let. Commoners into our establishment! What part of it is not clear to you, you pea brain?!" The servant couldn't be bothered with being polite anymore.

"I'm not a commoner, though."

The Dragon's Lair Servant really couldn't anymore. "Guards, drag this man out and chase him away".

Two guards bound by heavy brass armor walked towards Fu Lin, and just the very sight of them nearly turned his legs into boneless mush. "Please don't" he prattled, "I really didn't lie". He shouldn't have pawned off that golden crown, representing the sun, for money. He didn't consider how foreign the Empire of the Blazing Sun was to him. Back at his home, the Empire of Silver Mountain, he didn't even have to pay for what he ate; everybody knew who he was and loved to feed him. Before the guards could get a hold of him, a hand from among the crowd emerged and stopped the guards' fists abruptly.

Everybody turned to look at the person who dared to stop a guard in brass armor. It was a gruff-looking man with a huge mustache on his face, and he was luxuriously dressed. The guards, understanding that he was a man of nobility and superior rank, slowly withdrew. The Servant of the Dragon Lair knew what meant actual business and immediately took on the head servant's host look.

"Who... who are you?" Fu Lin asked, slightly scared by his imposing build and huge mustache. His personal belief was that people with mustaches should never be trusted.

"Your highness! It's me!" The man in a mustache whispered back joyfully, "The secretary of the Second Prince's militia division."

Your highness? That's not how people here addressed him, though. "Could you be somebody from Silver Mountain?"

"Yes, secretary of the second prince's militia, to be exact." The man puffed his chest proudly as he whispered and held Fu Lin by the hand as he guarded him against any potential threats. "I see that you're having some trouble with entering this non-imperial inn. If you find it beneath you to enter this kind of establishment, I can get our royal chef to cook up something for you at our residence here".

"Oh, I'm grateful for the offer." Fu Lin felt at home after meeting with a westerner after a long time: "But I'm pretty hungry and want to eat something decent before I find myself fainting, so I think this place would do".

"Of Course!" The secretary of the Second Prince's Militia turned to look at the servant of the inn sternly.

The servant immediately bowed. He knew when there was a good customer and business, and therefore understood what that gaze meant: get the damn table ready. He didn't know what they secretly talked about, but somehow he guessed that, though the beggar-like man might not be a prince, he was somebody important. Perhaps the mustache man's lover?

After stepping into the inn, Fu Lin realized how out of place he was among all the high-end guests who had graced the inn. Several curious and contemptuous gazes made their way his way, but as he was firmly wrapped beneath the dirty rag, nobody could see his face. After sitting down at the far end of the table and ordering some simple dishes, they began talking.

"Your Highness" The man peered at his get-up sorrowfully. "What happened for you to look so worn-down and poor? We thought you might be living a well-off life after a happy marriage".

Before Fu Lin could answer, gossip erupted from all four sides.

"Good Suns! Did you know what has happened in the Imperial General's mansion?" One talked enthusiastically.

"Nay, nay! What happened? Didn't he get married just yesterday?" the other asked, equally joyful.

"Apparently his husband, the last prince of the Silver Mountain, eloped from the General's bed chamber last night!"

The other almost shrieked "OH SUNS! What a terrific turn of events... The Zhou General family will never be able to live down this disgrace".

Fu Lin envied those women. He wished he could join in on the gossip too and give his ugly take on things, but he didn't want to draw too much suspicion. The secretary of militia on the side meanwhile looked at him astonished.

Fu Lin smiled foolishly and whispered, "It's as they say."

The secretary almost stood up in alarm but still adjusted his expression to not scare off their seventh prince. "What happened... right, questions can wait until later. First, we need to get you to some place of safety—somewhere outside the terrain of the Zhou family—and then see whether we can reach out to the General for a private negotiation".

The food arrived a moment later, and Fu Lin stuffed himself full. The food at regular stalls was so bland and oily for him to consume that he resorted to quarreling with this Elite Inn servant at the cost of his identity being revealed. Once he had eaten his fill, the secretary wiped his mouth for him and took him upstairs.

"His highness, the second prince, was especially stationed within the Empire of the Blazing Sun because we were worried something like this might happen. The Emperor wanted to make sure that the Seventh Prince was not ill-treated here".

"Wait, what?!" Fu Lin's already large-looking eyes bulged even more. "Second prince as in... Second royal brother is here?"

Yes." The secretary smiled—even his eyes were smiling at the recollection of the Second Prince. "He's upstairs and currently using an alias, so please do not use his real name here. The Emperor of Blazing Sun wouldn't be very pleased at knowing we sneaked into their capital without a formal announcement".

Fu Lin almost wanted to burst out in joy. If his brother was here, it would definitely mean half his troubles were over. He was guided upstairs by the secretary towards a door that was decorated in heavy, intricate designs of suns and lanterns. The door was then opened by the secretary to reveal a figure clad in simple martial robes.

"Greetings to the Seventh Prince of the Silver Mountain—or should I say husband?"

**************************************

It was gruelling to edit this chapter, hope you enjoyed it! ( ' ∀ ')ノ~ ♡ Don't forget to vote, comment and share if you enjoyed the chapter. Also make sure to follow me for updates on more exciting stories!