63. Forever

It began as a trickle, a shallow line of redness that transformed into a mild rain of blood and drenched the brittle crust of sand beneath. The clear sound of robes tearing and then subsequently skin ripping seared through the air. A heavy gust of wind blew as the soldiers looked on, shocked at the scene unfolding before them–their General looking at the unmoving figure of Fu Lin below after what he just did.

Just as the blade came down, his figure imminently twirled behind, his momentum changing and riveting toward the soldiers. The imperial sword cut through and one of the soldiers fell down.

General Haoran had attacked one of his own subordinates.

It was the soldier who pressed his feet into Fu Lin's head before binding him.

General Haoran breathed heavily as he turned back to look at the soldier who was now crawling on the ground holding his abdomen. It was a light jab across the robes that barely grazed the skin.

The General's eyes had a storm brewing behind it. "My orders were to simply bind him and bring him back to me–it was absolutely unnecessary for you to press your leg and resort to manhandling a war prisoner. I shall not have my subordinates losing their chivalry as soldiers the moment victory gets to their heads. Besides..."

The rest he didn't speak.

He couldn't bring himself to utter the rest.

Upon hearing the General's enraged words Fu Lin slowly opened his eyes. General Haoran's burning gaze met his as a sudden gust of sand blew by, constricting Fu Lin's eyes. Fu Lin's eyes fluttered, and he closed them, feeling the movement of the particles of sand within his eye balls. His vision turned blurry and by the time his eyes opened, General Haoran was before him pouring water on his eyes.

Some of the water made its way to Fu Lin's nostrils, and he coughed. His throat burned as he looked up.

"What is this?" he rasped furiously, "Kindness? Sympathy? I don't want anything you Blazing Sun bastards have to spare."

"Do not get ahead of yourself," Haoran spat, throwing the pot of water away. "You think I would prefer to look at your unsightly face instead of hacking you into pieces without cause?"

Fu Lin smiled, a warped and mocking smile. "I wonder what particular 'cause' you could be referring to when all that I have in my possession is my meagre body and heart. By any chance, could it be associated with what followed the 'besides' you were about to utter earlier?"

Hot rage surged through General Haoran. His grip on the imperial sword tightened as he spoke through gritted teeth,

"Extremely daring of you to assume that I harbour affections for you any longer when you were standing on your deathbed with my sword against your neck not just a few seconds ago."

"Could you fault me for assuming so, though?" Fu Lin snickered. "I notice everything you do."

General Haoran bent down, his hands once again grabbing the roots of Fu Lin's hair and forcing him to peer into his darkening eyes. "You notice nothing, Fu Lin. You notice nothing about me nor what I do."

"But I do General Haoran." Fu Lin's face was full of false sincerity. "I really do. For instance, I notice how you turned yourself behind and twisted your body to shield me from the blood that could splay. And I notice how you still stand in the same spot, not allowing me to inspect all the blood that you just caused because you're worried about my trauma. And I also noticed how you were immediately at my side with water the moment something got into my eye."

Haoran's jaw tightened. "It is all your imagination!"

"It is not." Fu Lin moved forward, whispering in the General's ear, "That is not all I notice, though. Even now, as you're grabbing my hair and trying to assault me, you can't help but ease your grip on my hair such that it wouldn't cause me any pain. Am I wrong?"