28. Entrapped

Don't forget to vote, comment and share!

****************************************************** 

Once he had resolved his conviction of hating Fu Lin, everything else, including the plan of deceiving the Minister, flew down the gutter for the General. He really couldn't care less at the moment. Therefore, he didn't bother with pleasantries and polite decorum as he took his leave from the drunken minister by almost telling him to piss off. After bidding a very cold farewell, the General immediately headed toward the carriage, leaving a baffled Fu Lin to watch his departing back confusedly. It took him a good few minutes before he realised that they were about to leave the Minister's Manor and by the time he scurried out; the carriage was already leaving.

As nimble as he was on his feet, he couldn't keep up with a dual horse powered carriage that rushed in its absolute capacity. Hence, even as he panted and kept his legs running, he expected that perhaps a hand from within the carriage would extend itself and... help him get on

a bit. But no hand or help. Sighing, Fu Lin took things into his own hands as he pressed one leg on the wooden wheel of the carriage that was rolling around and used that momentary support to throw himself towards the side of the carriage, hanging onto the roof eaves of the carriage like a dead fish.

He tried and tried for several hours but couldn't find it in himself to get in because he feared he might fall down and end up potentially dislocating one of his body parts.

From within the carriage, the General was feeling rather relieved that Fu Lin was nowhere close to him or within the carriage. He feared that if Fu Lin were to witness the deliberate animosity in his eyes at the moment, he might attempt elopement again- and would subsequently end up embarrassing the Zhou Family again. Even if he decided to dislike Fu Lin, he didn't want to make it apparent on his face and drive the man into a corner therefore when he walked out of the Minister's manor it was wilfully that he didn't tell Fu Lin that he was leaving. He would send a carriage later to the Minister's Manor to bring Fu Lin back.

However, what the General did not know was that Fu Lin was floating right above him, barely holding onto the roof of the carriage.

Time passed and afternoon turned to dusk, the fatigue and weight of the day settling into the darkness. As they were passing through a rough thicket of underwood, the road seemed to get narrower and rougher, the strides of the horses getting heavier by the minute. The General looked out the window, crinkling his brows slightly.

This isn't a road suitable for riding.

General Haoran opened the bead curtain and dropped his head out, gazing at the carriage rider intently. Inexperienced riders often took hard routes instead of the well-known ones out of ignorance. He narrowed his eyes. Indeed, it might get a bit late for him to send a carriage back to the Minister's residence. Just as he thought this, he heard the piercing sound of something slicing through the air, followed by a soft thud.

"General, it is a trap! We're getting ambushed!"

When he heard Fu Lin's voice coming from above the carriage, the General almost hit his head on the roof.

He was here all this time?!

The General twisted his upper body to thrust himself onto the edge of the carriage window frame and tried to balance himself by standing on the wooden ledge, and tried to peer into the place from where Fu Lin's voice came. He could only catch a glimpse of the red before a rapid gust of wind muddled with a staggering turn of the carriage almost threw the General down the carriage. His hands immediately drew out a dagger from the innards of his Zhou official robes

and violently sunk it into the rooftop, ultimately collapsing but holding on tightly to the dagger, keeping himself up from barely falling.

"Your Highness?" he yelled, "Are you there?"

Getting no reply from the rooftop, the General swung his lower body like a vine and found a foothold on the inner window once again, now getting the grip he wanted. He placed one hand on the decoratively carven roof and stood atop it in one jump. And in front of him stretched nothing but emptiness.

There was not a speck of Fu Lin in sight. Where was Fu Lin?

Before the General could start worrying about anything, a red piece of cloth fluttered by and landed on his feet. When he picked it up, what came into sight was an emergency sign of Kanglun letters denoting 'I'm fine' cut roughly by something hard-probably a hair pin.

The General's eyes twitched.

So the little shit had actually left him behind and escaped?

He actually also had the gall to write a letter behind emphasising his running escapade. It was as if he was born to run away! As he stood gazing at the red gauze, his lips stretched expressionlessly. It was as if the crimson cloth was somehow a very rapt reminder of how hated he was by Fu Lin.

If Fu Lin possessed an ounce of care for him, he wouldn't leave the General behind like this.

Even as he was engrossed in these thoughts among the rattling wheel sounds and the brash rustling of pine trees within the forest, the General heard a sound- a very light, soft sound he was very familiar with. He gazed into a blind spot and tilted his head a few degrees away and right by the place his head stood earlier, a thin wooden arrow pierced through and landed before his very eyes. The tip of the wooden arrow was smeared with something- probably poison.

General Haoran sneered. It was clear what they were after. He wanted to assume they were bandits who wanted to rob people and give them the benefit of the doubt, but right then, there was no denying the fact that they were after his life.

Behind him, the sound of feet colliding with the soft wood of the rooftop echoed. The general tilted his head behind with a dangerous glint in his eyes. Behind him were 3 men in black with veils covering their faces and long double-edged swords hanging off of their waists, staring at him ruthlessly.

"You there," The General spoke, ignoring the men in black before him and waved at the carriage driver in the frontier, seated quietly. "You didn't think I wouldn't know that you shot that arrow or that you're the leader of the gang, did you? Instead of waiting there like a chicken to sneak attack with an arrow when you can, why don't you..." He laughed mockingly as he swung his fists. "...Get back here and face me head on?"

With that, all 3 men pounced on him from all directions.

**********************

(⊙_⊙) OMG, is the General in danger? Jk, get that popcorn for some good ol action. 

Don't forget to vote, comment and share!