71. Victor

General Haoran was not a vain person.

He might have killed himself before he could harm Fu Lin and before he knew Fu Lin was trapped in the hands of those that wanted to kill him but he would never off himself knowing after his death, Fu Lin's miserable life would be in the hands of Emperor Guang. And Emperor Guang knew of this very well.

That was why he had confidently asked Haoran to finish off Fu Lin's life with his own two hands. So that he'd be scarred for life and never tread upon the subject of betrayal.

So that his beloved's loss wouldn't be useless. If that mosquito bastard were to die facing the wrath of Haoran's disloyalty and on account of his duty, it was very likely that General Haoran would be forever bound by his duty alone. Because when this defect was wiped clean of the General's life, he'd once again have nothing remaining in his life but his duty.

And even if he didn't value his loyalty anymore, he could have been easily manipulated into doing so in his shattered mental state. For nothing is easier than pacifying humans in their vulnerable states.

Emperor Guang pursed his lips as he gazed at the shocked crowd's demeanour. The decision to kill Fu Lin wasn't solely based on Haoran. However,

Ever since the terrain was named a territory under Blazing Sun, unrest seemed to brace the plains of Kanglun. Riots and rebellions broke out, crime ran rampant, and the uprisings gave way to poverty and disorder within the society; all against the unification of Silver Mountain as part of the Blazing Sun. The East – that is the Silver Mountaineers didn't wish to acknowledge Guang as their sovereign.

With time, the waves of tension graced the Empire of Blazing Sun, too. The nobles, taking advantage of the unrest in the east, created a political agenda of 'anti-Silver Mountaineers' and stirred the civilians of Blazing Sun against the , turning the Blazing Sun against Emperor Guang.

The Emperor saw red as his eyes averted to look at the elites standing on the side-walk, who stood shaken by the sudden statement of the Emperor.

These rats; the nobles and elites who pretended to suck face with him but actually salivated over his throne behind his back- he wanted to put these mongrels in their place. Killing Fu Lin was his way of showing the Blazing Sun that he'd forever be their ally and his way of terrorising the Silver Mountain into submission. That was why he invited them to witness Fu Lin's beheading.

And getting Haoran to kill his own beloved was him keeping the lecherous nobles at bay; it was him strangling them into submission. Haoran was the greatest of all elites and this was his end. He wanted the politicians to see who they were messing with.

That was what he thought... until his messenger came back with ground breaking news.

"Your Majesty," His messenger had whispered, "It has been officially confirmed that the Silver Mountain Imperial family has drowned on their way to the Taihe continent. They have all died and their bodies have been washed ashore on the Taihe lands."

As soon as he heard these words, he yelled the words, "Halt the killing!" when an idea dawned on him.

Emperor Guang fell back on his throne, his eyes gleaming with a condescending twinkle. He felt a surge of pride swell in his heart. He had played the game a bit too seriously. All he had to do was lay back and wait for them to devour each other.

Emperor Guang sneered as he looked down at Fu Lin, "O, former prince of the Silver Mountain! If I make a proposition to you, would you be willing to accept it?"

Fu Lin's lips twitched at his sudden change in address. "It depends on the proposition, Your Majesty."

Emperor Guang jumped down from his throne and stood before Fu Lin pointing his finger majestically, "I, the Emperor of Blazing Sun, shall grant you the greatest wish of amnesty and let you in on the mightiest form of joy life can offer. I shall abolish your death sentence!" The crowd gasped.

"And that's not all," the Emperor continued, "I would also grant you the concession of remarriage with former General Haoran and absolve his stance as a traitor and reinstate everything that belonged to him. However, there is something trivial you must do for it."

Fu Lin asked, his voice trembling, "And what would that be?"

The Emperor threw a knife at him, "You just simply have to swear me an oath of blood to acknowledge me as your Master and you to be my subject. For you to be a subject of mine and the Blazing Sun's wholeheartedly."

Fu Lin listened cautiously and then closed his eyes in turmoil. Then opened his eyes, exhaled and spoke evenly, "I shall not accept the proposition, Your Majesty."

The Emperor took one look at his eyes and understood that he knew that his family had died out in the sea. "Are you sure about this?" he asked, askance.

When Fu Lin bowed his head in a positive reply, Emperor Guang did not miss the utter sense of betrayal that washed over Haoran as his sword slackened and almost fell down. Good, this was how it should be.

"You do realise that you'd be missing a lifetime of opportunity?" Emperor Guang was rife with sympathy as gazed at Haoran, "And that you'd be pushing the love of your life into something as outrageous as killing him with your own hands by doing this? Well, no matter. Affection cannot be forced after all. I shall grant amnesty to my General out of my own will."

Emperor Guang now turned his attention to Haoran. "Haoran of the Blazing Sun, I shall give you an amended proposition as a way out of betrayal. If you believe your loyalty is worth your love, come and accept the marriage I shall bestow upon you with a noblewoman of my choice

because that would mean you have chosen your Empire, your liege over your love. As for Fu Lin... he shall be killed on your day of marriage. What is your answer?"

General Haoran, without a second thought, threw the sword and bowed as he said, "Your word is my command, Your Majesty."

A smile crept on Guang's face. A cold smile. And in any game, ultimately, he was the victor.

▪──── ⚔ ────▪

Don't forget to vote and comment!