25. Intruder

The next morning, rays of sunlight burst forth through the branches that twirled within the Zhou manor garden. Haoran enjoyed the freshness from the dewy specks interlaced with that very light as he watched the elaborately decorated carriage getting loaded with gifts of various kinds. Since it was the first time in ages that the General was going to grace another elite's house with his presence, it was only appropriate that he represents the gallantry of the Zhou family with material treasures-even if he despised his host.

As he was done checking the lists, his eyes followed a servant who had just come out of the room where Fu Lin was supposed to be dressing. He signalled the servant to come over and asked stiffly,

"Is he done yet?"

The servant bowed, slightly frightened by his aggravated expression. "The Second Master is still dressing."

General Haoran knew this would happen. Fu Lin was woken up at the earliest hour of when the cock cried and now the sun's rays were strong enough for the mist to evaporate and he was still not done dressing up.

"What is still doing there?" asked the General, annoyed.

"That..." The servant fidgeted. "...About that Your Grace."

"What?" The General's eyes darkened.

"The Second Master." The servant's legs almost gave out at the General's inflamed tone. "He... he keeps saying that every fabric with the Imperial designer... is uncomfortable to wear."

"Huh?!" The General looked bewildered.

"I-I mean!" The servant gulped. "He says they're... itchy."

General Haoran pinched his forehead. He should have known better than to strike up a deal with that weakling. He really wasn't sure whether Fu Lin might mess things up for him today. The visit to the Minister of Revenue today is an event that he couldn't afford the liberty of destroying and Fu Lin was an involuntary master at destroying things. Quite literally.

General Haoran gazed at the door where Fu Lin was currently getting dressed and sighed. He really was a spoiled prince at times, complaining about such trivialities like fabric textures!

After what seemed like a wait of eternity, the door from which Fu Lin was supposed to emerge after the attire transition opened. Taking one elegant step out of the room, Fu Lin slowly and gracefully walked up to the General. He stood awkwardly behind the General, anxious and worried as if he was worried about what the General would tell if he saw him now. It seemed he had had enough of going through itchy material after material.

"Uh... Your Grace." The servant gestured behind the General. "The Second Master, Prince Fu Lin is here."

General immediately whipped his head behind and soaked in Fu Lin's appearance inch by inch. He did a once-over and his eyes widened slightly. A silent breeze nestled against their bodies as the General stood rooted to the spot, momentarily speechless.

Then the next second he looked slightly pleased as he said, "It's passable."

Fu Lin visibly sighed as if he wouldn't know what he would have done if the General was displeased with his appearance. It seemed this material was the only one his skin could barely tolerate. Just as Fu Lin was about to get into the carriage, the General had immediately bypassed him and got into the carriage, hiding behind the bead curtain.

As he sat down among the soft cushions, he mulled over whether what he had told was appropriate. Indeed, he could not lie blatantly about the nature of things; moreover, it is only an admissible fact that Fu Lin is neither the most beautiful person to grace this earth nor an exotic beauty who would revert the heads of everybody on the streets.

And even now, the best he could look was... decent.

And by that, the General meant that his appearance wouldn't evoke negative emotions. Therefore, he considered 'passable' to be a good enough comment.

They soon arrived at the Minister's Manor and right before they got off, General Haoran got a hold of Fu Lin's shoulders and stopped him. Fu Lin halted, gazing at him, startled. "Behave yourself." He said rather stiffly, "That man is waiting to make a fool out of me and that means he won't leave you alone either. So be cautious and don't embarrass the Zhou household."

Fu Lin nodded vigorously, slightly afraid.

The next instant, as he tried to get out of the carriage, his legs tripped on the steps leading down and fell face-first onto the ground.

The General looked at the ceiling of the carriage in pain. Why did it feel like things were going to go very wrong today?

As Fu Lin frolicked around on the ground eating a good mouthful of dust and rolled over to a place where somebody's feet were rooted intimidatingly. When he choked on the debris and looked up, he saw the face of the Minister of Revenue, distorted by a despicable expression. "Well, well," The Minister spoke, his old lips curling horribly, "If it isn't the General and his family! But that's some show of respect, going as far as to bow down to my shoes." He hooted in laughter. "Or is it because the Zhou family has a tradition of eating dust instead of rice to nourish the blood? Or maybe... did the General's spouse want to apologise by getting on his knees and begging for forgiveness?"

General Haoran got down immediately and walked over, ignoring the Minister of Revenue and pulling Fu Lin up, interlocking their hands in a spousal hold. Then he turned to the Minister as he said, nodding his head in respect,

"Greetings to the Minister, it's just that the seventh Prince simply saw some low-quality shoes in the distance and he wanted to inspect why the Minister of Revenue would wear such beggarly adornments. Please excuse his curiosity. About eating sand." The General laughed insincerely "Have you ever tried it, Minister? I've heard dust is quite the delicacy. Maybe you can try biting the dust once and for all."

He paused and was about to go in before he remembered something and turned back. "One more thing, the Zhou family doesn't have the habit of apologising to dogs. Now if you will...it's getting late, why don't we get started with the event?"

With that, he strode into the Minister's Manor hand in hand with Fu Lin. The Manor was a few times smaller than the General's but was quite extravagant and lavish in its decorations. There were actual gold-plated eaves and glass chandeliers blown into exquisite shapes of animals and images within the Manor and had lotus lanterns with fireflies trapped in them. It resembled a sightseeing venue than a Manor in every way. As they walked down the hall of varied tapestries, a shocked voice came from behind.

"Haoran?"

It was a singsong voice that erupted and both the General and Fu Lin turned around. Standing behind them was a woman in her years of ripe youth and peak beauty. Her doe eyes and rightfully curved body meshed well with her elegant, thin lips.

"Imperial General." She quickly corrected herself and bowed deeply, unable to contain her excitement. "Welcoming you to this lowly one's Manor."

As soon as she was done greeting them, she bounced over happily and threw Fu Lin's hand away from the General's, holding them within her. 

****************************

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ On my way into hiding because I know ya'll coming at me with knives