14. Hide and Seek

Don't forget to vote, comment and follow! (づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ

*************************************

Inside the military camp base of the Blazing Sun Army, a tent with a particularly bright oil lamp lit up the entire vicinity as soldiers walked about outside in their nighttime guarding duties. The flames of the fire torches outside the tent shrank and erupted to the rhythm of the nightly breeze as guards looked at their leader's tent worriedly.

Within the tent, three people in black robes with light armor were sprawled across the thick red carpet, playing a board game, while another man in more extravagant black robes was seated at the head of the main wooden chair. His head was buried beneath a sheet of parchment.

"You!" Lieutenant Bing Ze immediately sat up from the place where he was spread like a vine and yelled, "How horrible, Shen Yue! I never thought you, out of all people, would resort to cheating. This comrade is heartbroken."

"What?" Lieutenant Shen Yue looked at him horrified. "I didn't cheat-I would never. I promised my little nephew upon my honor as a soldier that I would never cheat in games ever since the day he lost after playing with me."

"Which means you did cheat then!" Lieutenant Bing Ze looked at him accusingly.

"No," Lieutenant Shen Yue looked severely dismayed, "my nephew assumed I cheated because he couldn't win."

"Shen Yue," Lieutenant Jiang glared at Lieutenant Bing Ze, "that fool is tricking you, don't mind him."

Lieutenant Bing Ze burst out laughing as Shen Yue looked at him like a puppy that had been cornered and went on to pout. Once he was done laughing, Lieutenant Bing Ze gazed in the direction of the head chair. "So how long are you going to pretend to read that thing?"

General Hoaran froze, not expecting his cover to be blown so fast. He set the paper he was 'reading' down and rubbed his eyes with one hand, raising his face to look at the scene before him. The three lieutenants had all stopped what they were doing and were now staring at him with grave expressions etched on their faces.

"I wasn't pretending." General Haoran replied stiffly, "It was a very important informal document sent by His Imperial Majesty."

"You..." Lieutenant Jiang asked, shocked, "Don't tell me you didn't even realize that what you were reading was a grocery list?"

General Haoran immediately whipped his eyes down to actually read the contents of the parchment paper and almost barfed. It read, 'Lotus seeds, millet, rice, bean curd, bamboo shoots, chicken breasts...'

"I..." General Haoran opened his mouth to lie his way out of this shameful predicament. "This General just wanted to see whether you fools know the difference between a grocery list and an imperial document." He coughed, "It seems you know. Good."

His three lieutenants looked at him incredulously and immediately puffed up their faces, holding in their laughter. They shouldn't laugh. This was their general. With utmost difficulty, Lieutenant Bing Ze swallowed down his outburst and asked, "Since the General said so, this subordinate would like to take the time to remind the General that looking after one's superior is also crucial for a subordinate. Now, can you tell what happened?"

"Nothing happened."

"If nothing happened, what is a newly married man doing at the military base?"

"This General," Haoran coughed again, "was bored at home."

Ha! This man really... Lieutenant Bing Ze barely held himself from scoffing. Really, their general should stop trying to lie his way out of things; he was horrible at it.